Anchorage and Rain and Wind!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Anchorage
August 2nd 2011
Published: August 3rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

I should have never texted Brenda B. about the rain in Alaska. That jinxed us! Not only did it rain in Soldotna for a couple days, but then it rained the whole time we were in Anchorage.

Sunday, we went downtown, rode the free trolley to the Ulu Factory, Open Air Market, Qiviut Musk Ox Producers' Co-Operative store and ate great fish and chips at The Brewhouse. (We rode the People Mover bus @ .50 for seniors to downtown from the RV park. It was Jim's first experience with mass transit. I don't think he's ridden a bus since junior high. We took a cab back from downtown. Nuf said!)
Monday; a bummer of a day; my flight to Mt. McKinley got cancelled due to weather; it rained all day & 4 women camped next door have their bras hanging on a line in the cab of their camper. What a view. It rained all night Monday night and it didn't look much better for the whole week, so Tuesday we decided to drive to Wasilla to find Sarah Palin (ha,ha). We went to the WALMART, the biggest one in the state of Alaska and also the WALMART that has sold more duct tape than any WALMART in the world. Is that funny or what? I have no idea what all that duct tape in Wasilla would be used for - maybe mushers use a lot???

After a nice drive of about 170 miles, we found an oasis on the Glenn Highway called Grand View RV Park, situated in a valley between two mountain ranges. Hiked to a bluff that overlooked the Matanuska Glacier and the river below. Sat outside with a glass of wine and watched Dall (the only all white sheep) sheep come over the crest of the mountain to dine in the south side meadow and drink at the lake. Dinner of "The Motherlode" Wood-Fired Pizza, followed by a take-out strawberry and rhubarb pie. (Eat your heart out Jack & fellow rhubarbarians.).

Advertisement



Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 26; dbt: 0.031s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1019kb