Searching for ancestors in cemeteries in Maine


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Anchorage
July 28th 2011
Published: July 28th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Searching for Ancestors
 My brother Jim met me at the airport in Boston. He'd arrived much earlier that day and had to wait till the afternoon when I arrived. We successfully got our car and made it out of the airport. Our first stop was to go find a place to sleep. We found something near the Hilltop Steakhouse in Saugus, MA. Then it was off to the Needham house where my Dad grew up in Lynnfield. Jim had seen on the satellite pictures that lots of construction had been taking place in the area and so it was with some trepidation that we proceeded up Chestnut Rd to find 345. Luckily the house was a still standing but had a for sale sign on it. For only $799,900 the house could be mine! We did knock on the door and a young woman answered but as her Mom was not home she did not let us in. We took pictures of the outside to add to the. Other pictures I took the last time I was there to see it. My best memory of the place is when back in 1987 or 1988 my Father, Elan, Molly and I got to go there together and we did go in the house and Dad showed us around. He pointed out the place where he hid from his brothers and the place where they carved their initials in the wood. 

After the house we drove back to Saugus and went for an early dinner at Hilltop Steakhouse, one of my Dad's favorite places. While the nostalgia was fun as always, the food was only okay. I do remember talking with Molly about that the last time we were there together and how we would probably not go back again. 

The next day we began to follow the list that Jim set down: 
Visit Benjamin Pearson's Mill in Byfield. Benjamin Person 4th was Molly Pearson Brown's father. We found this!

Find Benjamin Pearson and Hannah Goodrich's graves in Byfield. (Molly's parents) We found this too!

Look for remnants of the Stephen Brown homestead on Turkey Hill, Newbury. 100 acres on the south west side of Turkey Hill.
we went here and saw the place though people live there we read the historical marker signs.

Find Stephen Brown's grave in the Quaker Burying Ground on Turkey Hill Road. Just across the road from the Brown's homestead. Found this grave too!

Visit the Jackson House in Portsmouth, NH. Tamson Jackson was the wife of Richard Door – they may have lived in a cottage on the corner of the Jackson House lot. The house was closed and we did not plan to stay till the next day to tour it but we did look inside the windows of the big house. The cottage on the corner no longer exists but there is a new place there that could be in the same place or so Jim thinks.

Visit graves of Stephen Reed and Mary Grant in Freeport, ME with Elizabeth. Doore ancestors. We took Elizabeth with us and found the graves under a cedar grove.

Find Lydia Pearson Follansbee's grave in Alna, ME. First cousin of Molly Pearson, and first wife of Abiel Pearson Follansbee , Molly's second husband. Drove up to Alna and found these graves. Someone had purchased newer stones, very beautiful and then a little ways away we found the original gravestones. Not sure why there are two sets or why the person getting the newer stones did not put them by the original ones.

Find SOB's grandfather Stephen Brown's grave in the Buck Cemetery of' Bucksport, ME. This was the first place we did not have as much luck as the other places. The cemetery was locked up and we could ony look in. We did see a grave with the name Stephen with the right date but not the correct last name, it has the last name of Badger. Jim thinks this still could be the right person...tomorrow we will go to a city office and see if we can get permission to go in the cemetery itself and look at the other graves.

Before we got to Bucksport we took some time to go up the Ft. Knox observatory. A beautiful view way up high. It was great to take Route 1 up the coast today to here. The views of the ocean were quite fun to glimpse at through the trees. 

Advertisement



Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0327s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb