Accent Prejudice


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Alaskan Highway
January 10th 2011
Published: January 11th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Americans like to chat. It is not uncommon for them to strike up conversations with complete strangers. In Britain or Australasia you would be considered somewhat abnormal to behave this way. I like it. I suppose the theory goes that if you're still conversing after 5 or 10 minutes then there is a mutual agreement that neither of you are crazy?! Or possibly that both of you are crazy in which case you'll be lifelong buddies. Americans love to socialize. It is an endearing and largely inherent American character trait in the Yankee makeup.

The problem I have with Americans abroad, and for that matter any nationality who speak English as a first language, is their general expectation of foreigners to automatically speak and understand English regardless of where they are in the world. Yes, it has largely become the Lingua Franca of our times, the gender neutral tongue, with seemingly more and more words added to it's massive vocabulary every day. That said, you cannot expect a non-english speaking person to politely accommodate you on their turf.


On the other hand, the disappointing aspect I find in my travels is the occasional sneer of indifference toward anyone with an American accent. Yes, it's true American English is broadly phonetic and Yankees don't need a microphone to be heard, but is this justification to damn a many-accented world? The diversity of English is cause for celebration not condemnation. Perhaps why it has become the Lingua Franca is because it is gender neutral? There is no masculine and feminine. Is there any other widely spoken language like this? Acceptance and tolerance, not prejudice, has to be the way to go...

Advertisement



Tot: 0.346s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.1779s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb