From Charleston to Georgia, to Alabama


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alabama
October 12th 2008
Published: October 12th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Charleston, South CarolinaCharleston, South CarolinaCharleston, South Carolina

...a historical landmark in downtown Charleston.

It's been another adventurous week for our family, and we've added several more events to our list of good memories that we are accumulating during our travels. Here are some highlights of our past week:



As mentioned previously, we spent last weekend in Charleston, SC. We cannot begin to express our appreciation for the wonderful group of Christians at the North Charleston church of Christ. The preacher, Don Blackwell, and his family, are a great asset to the congregation there. We stayed in the home of one of the elders - Richard and Marci Hopkins. They opened their home to us, and were very hospitable. The congregation happened to have a picnic scheduled at the home of one of the elders on Saturday afternoon, and so by attending that, we had the opportunity to meet and visit with some of the members. Sunday we worshiped with the congregation, which included George giving his presentation Sunday evening. We were absolutely overwhelmed with the generosity of the members. After services, there was one after another members who came up to us and handed us money to help with our expenses. Additionally, the elders decided to increase our support. To the North Charleston church of Christ, thank you very much!

On Monday, the 6th, we headed to Georgia, where we stayed for three nights with Scot and Sheri McAfee, and their three girls - Alyssa, Kara, and Christina. We met the McAfees a number of years ago at Roundhouse. The McAfees are an exemplary family whom we are honored to call our friends. They are very dedicated to the Lord, which is clearly evident in their every day life. We enjoyed our time spent with them very much. The kids had fun playing games, being funny, and just enjoying their time together. We also had an opportunity to visit with Kevin and Pam Graves, and their son, Jordyn, as well as Benjamin and Elisha Richardson, along with their three girls. We have truly enjoyed spending time with some of our friends whom we've met over the years, but up until now, had never had an opportunity to visit on a more personal level.

Thursday, the 9th, we headed to Alabama, to spend a few days with the Madaris family - Jeff and Cindy, and their daughter, Rachel. This is another family that we met at Roundhouse 12 years ago. Everyone in our family needed a dental check-up, and so Jeff and Cindy made arrangements for us to visit their family dentist on Friday. We are happy to say that all six of us came away with NO CAVITIES! We were thrilled about that news. Much thanks to Jeff and Cindy, for your help in making all the arrangements for us. After the dentist, we visited the botanical gardens in Birmingham. We ate a picnic lunch, and then took a walk through the grounds.

Saturday, the 11th, our family, the Madaris family, and three from the Taggart family went to Six Flags over Georgia. This was a rare treat for our family, and we enjoyed riding roller coaster after roller coaster. One particular thing that we found disturbing was the fact that this particular day was Muslim Family Day. After our outing I looked online and found that this event has also been held in six other Six Flags locations. Literature about the Muslim faith was being distributed. The "politically correct" version of Islam, which is most often presented to America, is not the message that fundamental Muslims preach, and it would be beneficial for people to educate themselves about the matter.

Today, Sunday the 12th, we attended the Logan Martin church of Christ. Logan Martin has been supporting our family for a few years now - first when we were in Iowa, and then they agreed to continue when we moved to Tanzania. Again, we have been received very well by a wonderful group of Christian brothers and sisters.

Tomorrow we will pack up, make a couple of other visits, and then we will be making our way to Hattiesburg, MS. Please keep us in your prayers, as once again, we hit the road.

Our love to all,
the Jensens


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Kevin Graves, a Real Cut-UpKevin Graves, a Real Cut-Up
Kevin Graves, a Real Cut-Up

...making guacamole


12th October 2008

I'm so glad that everyone is doing well and having a great time! I was very happy to hear about the response in North Charleston and I hope that your trip continues to go well!
13th October 2008

Don't believe I have ever seen George and Joy Jensen look quite as happy as the picture of you two in this blog, unless it was watching the taillights of the vehicle that took me away from you house last June!! God bless you and please know all the bad drivers are not in Tanzania. Looking forward to seeing you soon. just ken
13th October 2008

awww i miss ya'll!! if ya'll come thru memphis or anywhere close you HAVE to call me!!!! 901 496 1272
16th October 2008

Muslim Family Day
"Disturbing" is an understatement. Thanks for making people aware of this. Stay sharp, TWG

Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 19; dbt: 0.0312s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb