Dothan Peanuts


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alabama
February 22nd 2022
Published: March 3rd 2022
Edit Blog Post

The coolest thing about Dothan in my opinion is that there are 60+ Peanuts around town as a community art project representing that Dothan is the peanut capital of the world. Here is some information from the Dothan visitor center

"Peanuts haven't always ruled the soil in our part of the world. At one time, it was all about king Cotton. Unfortunately by the 1920s, the boll weevil had taken over most of the cotton fields in the South, and farmers were left with destroyed fields and empty pockets heading into the Great Depression... Luckily for the Wiregrass, the sandy soil on the farm lands was the perfect growing environment for shallow peanut plans. Peanuts quickly revitalized farming around Dothan, and in present-day, 50% of the world's peanuts are grown within a 100-mile radius of Dothan. But What about the peanut statues all around town? What began as a fundraiser for the revitalization of Downtown Dothan has morphed into a city-wide public art project. Businesses purchase fiberglass statues from the locally owner replica plastics, and design them with significance to their business."

So here are my descriptions of all the Peanuts in the order that I found them

#56 Dothan Police Department- my first peanut and discovered before I knew there were 60 other peanuts to find.

#50 Kiss Goodbye to Cancer- my second peanut and also discovered before I knew what was going on. I just thought it was neat.

***ok peanut statues are a thing around town. So I downloaded a map***

#58 Medi-Caren. Found while I was driving to another peanut. Easily spotting along the street.

#45 Berkshire Hathaway. The first peanut I sought out to find.

#67- Found outside the Dothan School office. Originally I thought this was a bonus peanut but eventually found its number

#17 Mr. Bright Side Car max. An easy find from the map.

#15 Noki Nut AT&T store. An easy find from the map.

***Attempt for peanut #16 Ryley The Kangaroo is unsuccessful will return later***

#14 Extreme Health and Fitness. An easy find from the map.

#13 Krispy Kreme. An Easy find from the map.

#12 Friend Bank. An easy find from the map. I'm not sure what this peanut has to do with the bank though?

#11 Military nuts. Bad lighting and questioning whether I should stop for the evening since it's dark but I continued

#10 Tropical Smoothie. Peanut advertising at it's finest. They made a very good pomegranate smoothie.

#9 Our New Baby. GPS did not do well with this address.

#bonus?- Outside the Dothan waterworld park. This peanut is not on the map

#8 Ameris Bank Captain Cash. An easy find and a very good theme.

#19 Southern Regional Veterinary Specialists. Cute peanut!

#20 Westgate Library. One of the cutest peanut statues I saw

#22 Synovus Bank "Classic Peanut". This bank lacks creativity.

#21 Dothan Pediatric Nut- on the outskirts of town but easy to find

#62 Percy & Neil Personnel Resources- some crazy turns on the highway to get to their parking lot

#18 Highland Oaks Golf Course. Ok you should probably stop peanut hunting for the night when you are walking into a gated golf course at 8pm.

#25 Alabama State Trooper. An easy find on a new day of peanut hunting

#27 Oncology Supply. Gated locked fence on a Saturday afternoon so I took a picture through the fence and zoomed in!

#26 Mark Dunning Industries. An interesting name for a trash company?

#59 Florida Certified Sign Erectors. Um, what are certified sign erectors? and this is Alabama not Florida? Way on the outskirts of town. I'm very confused

#28 CAE. This was next to the airport. What does CAE stand for? Google has given me mixed results...

#29 Commercial Jet. Surprisingly this peanut was the first time I got questioned by security for what I was doing. When I share everyone seems to smile and let me do my thing 😊

#24 UPS. This guy was hidden in the bushes away from the building. Much like how UPS likes to hide our packaged I suppose.

**Search for peanut #23 Andy Armadillo*** unsuccessful but this might be because it's dark out. Done for the day.

#39 Healthsouth Rehabilitation. An easy find with the map.

**The search for peanut #40 is unsuccessful after a good 15 minute search around the southeast medical facility**

**The search for peanut #37 results in a super grumpy security guard becoming only slightly grumpy when I say what I'm searching for. But I have to come back Monday-Friday 9am-3:30 to see the peanut which is inside the building***

**The search for peanut #42 is also unsuccessful but it is suspected that the peanut might be inside the store** At this point we are 1 for 4 on peanut findings today.

#41 Alabama College of Medicine. An easy find on the outskirts of town with the map. Finally a peanut success!

#35 Ingram Memorial. Another picture taken from outside a locked gate, but not too far away.

#33 Alabama Peanut Producers. Of course they have a peanut!

#60 Rural King. I honestly drove past the peanut several times not realizing it was a peanut since it had such long legs.

#32 Landmark Park Museum. Very plain peanut- clearly a museum budget

#34 Midsouth Paving. Random lonesone peanut in the north of town.

#30 Safelite Auto Glass. Initially I thought this was a bonus peanut. But later I navigated back to it and realized it is indeed peanut #30

#57 ADS Security. Very good peanut placement to get their store sign in the background.

**the search for peanut #6 at Sam's club*** This peanut died in a car crash according to a sam's club employee. Someone ran over the peanut which used to sit in front of the store and the peanut is now "under repair".

#5 Blue Water Car Wash. An easy find next to Sam's club. Did not need the map.

#4 TGI Fridays. This is where I learned that some restaurants have their peanuts inside the building. Maybe Ryley the Kangaroo and Andy Armadillo are inside???

#3 Golden Corral. Another inside peanut where I asked to skip the line to eat so I could take a photo and people were annoyed. I'm not eating here though?

**Peanut #2 is inside the visitor center. So I must return another time.**

#1 Original Gold peanut. Outside the visitor center. Done peanut hunting for the day.

#37 Key Firehose Corporation. Came back during business hours and got an easy picture

#7 Home Depot. This guy was hidden behind a sign advertising that home depot is hiring. Had to move the sign to uncover this peanut.

#31 Wiregrass Commons Mall- not anywhere on the outside of the mall or directly inside any of the 5 entrances. A mall walk was needed to find her infront of JCPenny

**Another attempt at #23 Andy Armadillo who is supposed to be at Texas Roadhouse. The hostess informed me that Andy is in the back of the restaurant after an irate customer took our her frustrations on the peanut. The customer claims the peanut fell over in the wind "but it wasn't windy that night and that peanut had been there for years". RIP peanut.

#43 Dothan Powersports. The company was closed but I got a shot through the window. I do wonder how many security cameras I have triggered at this point in peanut hunting

*Another attempt at #16 Ryley the kangaroo who is supposed to be at Outback steak house. The hostess was new and wasn't aware of them having a peanut so he asked his manager the manager spoke very strangely but the take away was that Ryley the kangaroo is named after someone who died in a motorcycle accident so the manager took the peanut home to refurbish him and instead now the peanut is in his yard. I have no idea... that was my take away from a very strange story with a very thick almost not understandable southern accent.**

#42 Shute Pecan Company. Success! the Peanut was indeed inside the store. Also this Pecan company and store has a peanut?!

#44 Alabama Welcome Center. 15 miles out of town on the border of Florida is this beat up peanut

#36 Wayne Farms. I had driven past this chicken multiple times. Wasn't until I put the address in the GPS and looked closer that I realized it is a peanut!

#40. By far the most difficult peanut. After my failure outside the hospital I went back during normal hours and asked at the front desk. She didn't know but security walked by and said he knew of the peanut on the 7th floor in the conference room. But no visitors are allowed to go up there (not sure if covid or other reason?). After a little talking the security guard was persuaded and personally took me up to the 7th floor for my photo. It was very nice of him. But at the same time these are supposed to be a public art project so they shouldn't really be in places that the public can't access at some point.

#38 Peanut in the tub Lewis-Smith Plumbing Supply. I think this is my favorite peanut!

#46 Brackin Whole sale- easy peanut on the main street.

#2 The Elvis Nut in the Dothan Visitors Center. Was finally at the visitor center during open hours. I got an official updated map and found out I had 5 more peanuts to find (though I had already found #67 on my own)

#64 Pinch a Penny pool. Easy peanut found on the updated map

#63 Wallace Community College- Technically not in Dothan anymore so it was a bit of a drive

#66. The sign says "Est 1985. Jesus. Is the Food for Life" Not sure why we need to include Jesus in the BBQ outside this pepsi company?

#65. Not a fan of chick fil a but they had a peanut outside which is a cow

#bonus. On a walk with copper and we found this peanut outside the spay/neuter clinic.

#bonus Driving around looking for peanuts this peanut was spotted. Not on the updated map

#54 DSI Security. How many security cameras have I been on?

#52 Dothan-Houston County Library. Outside the main Dothan library and also the peanut on the front of the map

#51 Media Nut Scenic Communications across the street from the library this guys on camera

** Search for #53 was unsuccessful. The museum listed as its home had a sign out saying they were unexpectedly closed today.**

#55 Top Chef KBC on Foster. had to go inside the restaurant on their patio to find this peanut

#47 Basketcase Cafe. The restaurant was closed but I was able to see their peanut!

#49 Rock Bottom Auto. An easy peanut find on the map

#48 Nuts About Safety Dothan Fire Department. Look closely and I think this dog has an extra leg... is he peeing on the hydrant? I'm not sure

#61 White Owl Swedish Match taken through the fence because their parking lot is very locked up- I think this was a tobacco plant or something?

#53 GW Carver Museum. The Museums hours are supposed to be Wed-Saturday 10am-4pm. After them being closed last Saturday I returned on Wednesday at 1pm and they were closed with no sign or anything. Did some snooping and was able to get this terrible photo of the peanut through a tinted window. I swear this museum is never open...

So in total I know of 70 peanuts existence. There were 67 on the updated map and 3 bonus peanuts located that were not on the map. Since there are also 3 deceased peanuts it's essentially a wash. What an adventure!


Additional photos below
Photos: 67, Displayed: 29


Advertisement



Tot: 0.253s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.1105s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb