Now we're Alabama residents!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alabama » Talladega
November 10th 2008
Published: November 18th 2008
Edit Blog Post

This is taken from the 3rd floorThis is taken from the 3rd floorThis is taken from the 3rd floor

of one of the motels. The chapel also has classroom buildings separate from it. I keep telling you that this is a big place!
(Shocco Springs Baptist Conference Center)

We arrived at Shocco Springs Friday afternoon to find fall colors just in their peak! At Carson Springs they had lost their brilliance, but here they’re still bright. AND we don’t have to rake leaves!! We’re parked in spots with trees surrounding us, and we’re on level ground~~two things you don’t often find at camps! There are six couples, and for the very first time, we’re meeting up with couples we’ve worked with on other projects….Mo and Leona from our September project in Michigan; Earl and Nancy from last fall’s projects at Silver Spur and Victory Ranch; and then Marvin and Jackie, and Gary and Sharon from Carson Springs…it’s like a mini-reunion! We have new friends, Larry and Carol, too. And something else new to us: we’re meeting with two couples that are working here with a group called MMAP (Mobile Missions Assistance Program). They’re the same as us, just wearing different name tags. Not often do two volunteer groups meet at the same project, but these couples (who didn’t know each other) happened to stop and volunteer their time while waiting for their scheduled group to arrive in December. (did that make any sense???)
This lake is at the end of our road.This lake is at the end of our road.This lake is at the end of our road.

A couple of the men have been fishing in there. You can swim too....I pass!
The main thing is they have morning devotions, Tuesday Bible Study and socials and tours with us. They’re basically doing everything with us, except they’re working on their own tasks, and their own work schedule. One couple is from Canada and the other is from California (very close to Yucaipa, where we were last winter.) That makes us a group of 16!!!

Shocco Springs is a conference center supported by the Alabama Baptist convention, and it appears to be very well funded, and is a large as most college campuses. Their chapel can seat 730 people, and have a full dining hall that seats 500. They have motel rooms for 1300 people, and then cabins that can house 375 more, and their rv camp has 20 hookups. I tell you, this is a huge operation. I know I’ve said that before, but I’ve been wrong before! They do have an Adventure Camp for summer youth camps, but mostly they host conference type events.

The men are remodeling a duplex-turned-single-family-home. The women are working in the administration building. Next week Leona and I are going to work on a photo project where we’ll organize digital photos of the campus. I’ll get back to you on how that goes!



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Bagley CenterBagley Center
Bagley Center

The dining room, snack shack (that's its name, not its condition) and the gift store are in here, and there are two motel units connected.
I'm standing on the other side of the lake.I'm standing on the other side of the lake.
I'm standing on the other side of the lake.

We have six couples and two MMAP couples, so we have several units up there! And then over the weekend another RVICS couple came to visit, so we had nine of us! A real neighborhood!
Gift storeGift store
Gift store

aka:book store, clothing store, and more.
Shirey LodgeShirey Lodge
Shirey Lodge

This is decorated in a more vintage feel. It's beautiful, and this is where I would choose to stay if I was paying!
Where we have devotions.Where we have devotions.
Where we have devotions.

Taken from our step. (I started to say "front step" but then it ocurred to me we only have one set of steps!)
Take a vacation here someday.Take a vacation here someday.
Take a vacation here someday.

You'll be glad you did!
Talladega, AlabamaTalladega, Alabama
Talladega, Alabama

We're about 30 minutes from the outskirts of Birmingham, and an hour from Montgomery.


18th November 2008

Alabama golfing
We were in your current area 2 years ago for our 40th wedding anniversary. We golfed the Robert Trent Jones trail and stayed in Birmingham. Each day we would head out and golf a different course, but were all part of the same organization. It was a great vacation area and we loved the colors - all the leaves on the course made it hard to find the ball though. Our house is great, will send pictures whenever I get Mike to get them on my computer - he is the photographer. Joan
20th November 2008

Bagley Center
Just browsing the blog....I love the look of the Bagley Center...can we do the new kennel like that?? What a beautiful place you are at!

Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0475s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb