AND FINALLY....Alabama


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alabama » Birmingham
June 12th 2007
Published: June 12th 2007
Edit Blog Post

YIKES!YIKES!YIKES!

The unexpected guest in our tent!
So, yes….back to ticks and scorpions. While packing up the tent the next morning, guess what just happened to crawl out?? A SCORPION! Yikes! We were sleeping with it! So we took some pictures of it, thanked the baby Jesus that it didn’t hurt us and went on our way. We drove on out of the Lake Euphala Campground and made our way to Arkansas… The Natural State. We had heard on TV that somewhere in Arkansas you can mine your own quartz, diamonds and other gems. We were all over that idea so we looked it up and headed to the Mt. Ida area for the booty.
.
We pulled over to road side rock shop and went around back where the running water and sand sifters were. We paid 8 bucks for a bucket of sand and dumped it in the sand sifters. With some cleaning and sorting, both Natalie and I came home with nice big chunks of quartz, sapphire, fools gold, garnets, rubies and a variety of other rocks and minerals ending in “ite”. We were SO pumped! More cool rocks to add to our collection and weigh down the car.
.
From there
Wild Turkeys! Wild Turkeys! Wild Turkeys!

We saw these lil buggers running around on the street, they were pretty scared of us...understandably
we drove until 11pm and camped out for free at a roadside campground off the freeway hippie style. After waking up the next morning we managed to travel through four states…Arkansas, Tennessee, Mississippi and finally we made it to good ol Alabamer. We made one final scenic stop at the “Natural Bridge” before we reached our final destination. It was out in the middle of nowhere and it was a huge rock bridge connecting two awesome rock cliffs. We didn’t walk on it, but we walked under it and took a bunch of pictures.
.
This was my first introduction to Alabama humidity. I barely walked twenty feet and I was already sweating. The landscape here is very beautiful. It’s green with deciduous trees all over. The birds are chirping and the summer flowers are blooming. That evening we arrived in Gadsden at Natalie’s Grandma’s house. What a nice welcome! Now we are in the process of catching up with sleep, getting settled and finding a place. Yep, the trip is over…it’s hard to believe. It was a blast and we thank you all for reading our blogs, take care!!



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Mining in ArkansasMining in Arkansas
Mining in Arkansas

We got our buckets and we were ready to go!
A sale at LowesA sale at Lowes
A sale at Lowes

Only in the South will you find more rocking chairs out in front of Lowes than BBQs!
Wecoming smileWecoming smile
Wecoming smile

One of the many welcoming smiles we got when we arrived to Gadsden is from Tinkerbell,(Don King hair doo)one of Natalie's Grandma's "Dingalings" as she calls them. They are super cute and really funny doggies.


14th June 2007

Oh my
Hum, nobody give that dog a mirror....if Annabelle sees what she looks like for real....she may go into a deep, deep depression. That is a dog with definate image issues. See God DOES have a sense of humor.

Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0506s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb