Valladolid, Chichen Itza and our last days in Mexico!


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico
October 30th 2015
Published: November 4th 2015
Edit Blog Post

We had booked a taxi for 10am to take us to Merida and from Merida to Valladolid by bus. Our plan was to spend 2 nights in Valladolid exploring Chichen Itza and then take the bus to Cancun airport on 31st and back to Belfast via Glasgow. We had packed up, tidied up and said our farewells to Celestun, taxi arrived on time and this is where a new plan developed! William, our taxi driver negotiated with us to drive us to Valladolid via some Mayan ruins and a tour of some Cenotes.(these are sink holes deep in limestone rock and filled with crystal clear water where you can swim. The Mayans used them as a water source.) We couldnt have asked for a better way to travel -air conditioned car, personal guide to take us on the last stage of our journey! Our first stop was the town of Izamal, an ancient Mayan site and boasting the 5th biggest pyramid in Mexico(200metres square). The Spanish conquistadors built a magnificent Franciscan friary on top of the Mayan pyramid there and overlooking the main plaza. It has the second largest atrium in the world, second only to St Peters in Rome. The entire colonial structures in the town, including the convent are painted a rich yellow to reflect the Papal colours. Our next stop was to the Ikkil cenote. This cenote is deep into the ground and has to be accessed by a steep stone stairway. The water is at least 50 metres deep. It was very busy with people diving in from a range of heights. It is an amazing spectacle! We were only sorry we weren't able to join them, it looked so inviting! We then visited a few more Cenotes, Dzitnip,Samula, but unfortunately we didn't have time to go in as time was marching on. The area around Valladolid is full of Cenotes and easily accessed. Our hotel in Valladolid, El Meson del Marques, we discovered was very well placed, right on the main square, a very airy building with an interior courtyard restaurant and pool. Valladolid is a beautiful colonial town with a Cathedral right on the main square. The Mayan site of Chichen Itza is only 20 minutes away by bus, so it makes a great location for a visit and that's what we planned to do on our final day!


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0467s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb