Mexico


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico
November 15th 2009
Published: November 15th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Cancun

Viva Mexico well almost so haven’t written a blog in a while thought it might be catch up time. So lets backtrack was in Canada last time we chatted and now well in Ecuador but thats another story. So Jo and i decided we needed a weeks chill out and booked an all inclusive resort in Cancun-thats all you can eat and drink and the price was pretty good.

Really in all honesty it was nice to not have to think where you are going to eat and drink and there is the beautiful beach just there and a couple of swimming pools but in reality its full of loud rednecked Americans who just want to get drunk and talk about there own self importance without understanding their ignorance. Overall after talking to other travellers i think we coulod have spent out time more economically and wisely we just needed a break from the hostel life even for a week.

In our time there was a bonus day where we visited a place called Chitcen Itza ( pronounced chicken pizza) now one of the new made made wonders of the world i didnt even know they gt rid of the old ones, anyway it is a former city built by the Mayans which if you don’t k now much about them were around from Sothern Mexico and Central America time frame honestly cant remember early ad i think. They built temples and Pyramids to appease the gods actually it all about the gods and keeping them happy even to the point of being worthy for sacrifice.

They were interesting in that they had there own calander and were some of the first astronomers charting the stars pretty advanced stuff. The site itself was pretty good but i had to compare it to other great building structures of the world and was not sure it warranted being one of the 7 man made wonders but then again it was voted on by the people. Finally after a week of lying in the chair and doing not much it was time to leave for Mexico city.

Mexico City

Third most populated city in the world i thought it was the first actually but was corrected 24 million people. For the record Tokyo then Sao Paolo. So our accommodation offered a free airport pick up which i have never heard of before for a hostel but whos complaining. You know when you get to a place and it has a nice feel about it thats what this place was like good hosts nice travellers etc. So the city itself is absolutely massive and the first full day we were there was a Sunday which in parts is like a ghost town butin other parts there are masses of people one of those was the Museo De archelogica which is free for Mexicans on Sundays but not tourists so we could have picked a better day to go but it was nice to be amongst the local people.

The afternoon was spent at the zoo which is free and actually pretty good lots of good attractions, i am not really a major fan of them but this was pretty decent. Mexico city for me was a real surprise i guess sometimes when you are going to a place you have perhaps some pre conceived ideas as to what its like. For me i was under the impression it was perhaps a little bit dangerous and not that nice but the reality is, it is a great city.

THE Mexicans are very friendly overall and stoop for you when crossing the road when they are in a car and let you go in front of them when walking. Considering there are so many people here you would think it would be the opposite. The metro system is the cheapest i have encountered anywhere 2 pesos to travel as far as you want on the train is very cheap thats under 20c. There are also some really great areas around where we were staying. Condessa was one with lots of funky bars and night life also Zona Rosa which was a bit more well the tourist zone with Starbucks and other franchises but also bars and restaraunts.

We didnt have time to explore all of the city but really enjoyed the time we had another time perhaps to explore further. Mexico i think is somewhere i could come back to its relatively cheap and has some great inland and coastal areas to explore after all it is a fairly large country with lots of interesting things to see.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.251s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0434s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb