Mexico: Part two...


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico
November 25th 2008
Published: November 25th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Tulum beachTulum beachTulum beach

...at last

11th - 13th



Not a very eventful couple of days so I’ll keep it brief. We made our way to Tulum from Cancun airport, keen to escape gringo land as soon as possible. It was late by the time we got to Tulum and the dark, in addition to our tiredness did not bode well for the first attempt at ‘pitching’ the mosquito net. Consequently our sleep was continually interrupted through fear of letting in the numerous mosquitoes which were buzzing around our ‘cabaña’ or of pulling the whole thing down.

We had planned on getting a bus down to the border town of Chetumal and making our way to Belize City after spending a morning on the beach. Our plans changed, however, when we still found ourselves walking to the beach (which we had assumed was across the road from the cabaña) an hour later. The beach was worth it though, one of those idyllic empty white sandy beaches with crystal clear warm water, a cloudless sky, and not even irritating insects or biting sea life to irritate. It was bliss and did our over-travelled minds some good I think.

It was decided then and there to have lunch in Tulum near the bus station, do the necessary internet malarkey and then jump on a later bus to Chetumal and spend the night there, making our way to Belize City the next day. And that we did.

Chetumal itself was not very consequential but refreshingly un-touristy at the same time. We spent the night there, arriving late and leaving early. The night, our last in Mexico, seemed rather momentous for us seeing as it was our second time of leaving the place and it had started to feel like something of a home from home. To celebrate, we decided to go out for a Margarita. When we eventually decided on a restaurant, we ordered our meal and the two, long awaited Margarita’s. The guy in the restaurant looked slightly surprised but agreed to make them all the same. We waited, and ate, and waited some more. Apparently the guy had never made them before and when the drinks eventually arrived mine tasted of lime flavoured water, and Jim’s of salt water! I suppose that’s our comeuppance for not wanting tequila shots!

Hasta Luego Mexico!


Advertisement



29th November 2008

this is the part of the world me and adi visited a few years ago...it's so beautiful isn't it??? Tulum beaches were the best i've ever seen!

Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0197s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb