Mexico


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico
February 4th 2005
Published: January 7th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Some pics!


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

The ZócaloThe Zócalo
The Zócalo

The Zocalo brings together the rhythmic beating of drums, the ankle-rattles of the native dancers and the glowing incense of modern day medicine men. A point of reference, of protest, of ritual and of national celebration.
Nuestra Señora de GuadalupeNuestra Señora de Guadalupe
Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe

It was the Indian Diego whose vision of Virgin Mary in 1531 started a legend of stories that aided the conversion of millions of Indians to Catholicism and became a symbol of Mexican people around the world. Every traveler is indeed a pilgrim, so the chance of visiting Guadalupe Shrine ties us to those hidden links with Mystery.
Teotihuacan PyramidsTeotihuacan Pyramids
Teotihuacan Pyramids

It was named the "City of the Gods" as deep religious convictions and ways of life were centred on the natural cycles and seasons of sowing, reaping and rainfall. Astronomical and calendrical expression was reflected in the construction of the city. Teotihuacan's ceremonial centre is laid out in symbolic representation of two axes; the north-south axis is named the Avenue of the Dead from which, parallel to the wings of a butterfly, buildings, palaces, plazas and altars extend to either side. At one end stands the Pyramid of the Moon and off to one side, rising in an immense stone mass, looms the Pyramid of the Sun; two massive structures representing the duality of creation between nature and the men who built these walls with volcanic rock, limestone, and song.
LunchLunch
Lunch

Want a snack?
A millenium of weaving in ChiapasA millenium of weaving in Chiapas
A millenium of weaving in Chiapas

For the May today costume is memory. The designs preserve their vision of the world, their identity, and their relationship with nature. Contemporary designs have four basic forms: diamonds, which symbolize the earth and sky as a unity; undulating forms, like snakes, which symbolize the fertile earth; forms with three vertical lines, which symbolize the foundation of the world, the community, and its history; and representational figures, such as toads (the musicians of the rain) and patron saints. At the heart of the diamond is often a butterfly, symbol of the sun and centre of the Maya cosmos.
niñoniño
niño

I help my mum...
TextilesTextiles
Textiles

In the textiles of Chiapas, the Maya concepts of time, space, and the mythological forces of nature are interwoven. Through repeated cycles of birth and decline, conquest and revival, weaving has preserved the design of the Maya universe.
Coca colaCoca cola
Coca cola

This is for people from Chamula most valuable commodity as they believe that it has a spiritual power. When they burp they purify themselves by expelling evil spirits. Prior to the discovery of fizzy drinks, locals had to drink litres of water to achieve the same cathartic effect.
San Juan ChamulaSan Juan Chamula
San Juan Chamula

A mixture of Catholic and Prehispanic traditions is shown in the Del Pueblo Temple, where the saints are venerated with prehispanic rites.
San Cristóbal de las CasasSan Cristóbal de las Casas
San Cristóbal de las Casas

It is a city of cobblestone lanes, red tile roofs, opulent churches and small tree-filled plazas. Long, straight streets ramble up and down several rolling hills that spread outward from the city's main plaza.
Cascadas de Agua Azúl Cascadas de Agua Azúl
Cascadas de Agua Azúl

Near the Palenqu ruins, this 6,450-acre reserve features the turquoise blue waters of Shumuljá and Tulijá rivers and falls, flowing through evergreen forests and the habitat of jaguars, tapir, and the toucan.
Palenque Palenque
Palenque

It's one of the most important archaeological sites and some of Mexico's great cultural treasures, including the Mayan inscription temple and a Myana palace. The park is surrounded by tropical forest. The ruins themselves are situated on a high plain, where magnificent sunrises and sunsets can be seen.
Palenque 2Palenque 2
Palenque 2

Right in the jungle of Chiapas
MeridaMerida
Merida

Known as "White City" because of the large use of white limestone and white paint this traditional city depicts much of the splendor of Colonial Mexico.
Chichén ItzáChichén Itzá
Chichén Itzá

The massive Kukulcán pyramid called "El Castillo" is roughly at the center of the site. The construction of the Kukulcán Pyramid at Chichén Itzá was planned so that each Vernal Equinox the dying sun would cast a shadow of a serpent writhing down the steps of the pyramid.
Chichén Itzá 2Chichén Itzá 2
Chichén Itzá 2

The Temple of the Warriors and its adjacent Temple of the Jaguar are the most awe inspiring ruins on the complex. A massive temple structure, surrounded by hundreds of columns is carved with reliefs.
TulumTulum
Tulum

paradise...


Tot: 0.034s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 20; dbt: 0.0154s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb