Llegda Mexico


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico
October 19th 2008
Published: October 21st 2008
Edit Blog Post

After an 11 hour flight, on which we discovered Mexico City isn't considered to be part of Central America and thus not in our guide book, we arrived in the great metropolis...

The taxi journey, probably not untypically but still worth documenting, was embarrassingly overpriced and slightly terrifying. We were met by our enthusiastic driver, George, as we looked around for an information desk... All protests ignored, George grabbed my bag and we followed, half running through the back passages of the airport, through a carpark, over a busy road and onto a street corner. Bags were shoved into the boot, James directed into the front passenger seat and I into the back. Only then were our ‘Cuanta Cuesta’s?’ responded to, and the response was an impatient demand for money upfront - although we were already on the move.
George was possibly the most impatient driver on the road. Infuriated by the conventional lanes of traffic, George took us winding between them, through spaces only visable to him. James and I exchanging brief discreet looks of terror as our horn set off a succession of others from those clearly in the right, competing with the blaring house music from the bars and clubs and Mexican music from the car windows. It felt very much like being in a rave.. especially with the complementary flashing lights of the police cars stuck behind us in the traffic. On arrival, the hostel itself was clean pleasant and friendly.

Our first day in Mexico City and was met with pleasant suprise at the absence of dirt and pollution we had come to expect from reports of the place and conversely unpleasantly unsuprised by the fact that our less-than-pigeon Spanish did not suffice. That said, we ambled through the city for a couple of days, taking in the city-like sight and smells, the tastes (not very vegetarian ones), the museums, the metro and the bus station..and managed somehow to eat, drink, and get an overnight bus to San Cristobal and one from Palenque to Cancun for Friday.



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0261s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb