PALENQUE MAYA RUINS MEXICO


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico
July 24th 2008
Published: July 24th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Palenque is a fine example of a Mayan sanctuary of the classical period. The city was at its height between 500 and 700 A.D. The buildings are decorated with relief´s showing Mayan mythology.

The Palenque temple-complex now is situated in jungle-like surroundings. The numerous (partly restored) remains of the Maya-architecture are quite well-preserved. Only 34 of the estimated 500 constructions in the area have been revealed. Together they give an impression what the city would have looked like during its heydays (although at that time the stones were colored red instead of gray).

One of the most impressive sights is the grave of the Maya-king Pakal. It is situated in the Temple of Inscriptions, and can only be reached via a long stone staircase. The grave was only re-discovered in 1952.

Palenque has much in common with Tikal (Guatemala), but for unknown reasons it is a lot less famous. The park impressed me a lot, both the temples and natural surroundings.

The grave of Pakal looks a lot like an Egyptian sarcophagi. The decorations (as a deathmask) and the skeleton however have been transferred to a museum in Mexico-City.


Additional photos below
Photos: 36, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0517s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb