Cancun - yet another city of sin :-)


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico
September 16th 2007
Published: September 16th 2007
Edit Blog Post

This is now country number 3 as I´ve been through Belize since the last entry. Tikal was absolutely amazing - highly impressive Cities of Gold style temples rising out of the jungle, good old trek to get to them which makes it a very rewarding day. We were helped by the fact our guide Miguel was so knowledgeable and could talk to the monkeys whcich was very cool! On from Tikal we carried along a very bumpy dirt track into Belize where we stayed the first night at San Ignacio, and back into English speaking territory for a few days. From here we took a jungle excursion, stopping for a quick snack of termites (taste like carrot!), following in the footsteps of Mayan shamans of yore going cave swimming-rock climbing to find a rock cathedral deep within the cave containing many Mayan artefacts, including several complete skeletons. Our return to San Ignacio saw the start of a heavy evening on the sauce and a seriously good barbeque cooked by the local town head honcho, Jimmy. The next day we moved on by boat via Belize City (a living advert for not doing drugs kids - everyone smacked out there) and onto the infinitely prettier island of Caye Caulker, complete with fresh lobster and the infamous local punch Lizard Juice, which after the obligatory 4 makes for a pretty entertaining evening. Heavy headed the next morning we headed on out to the Belizean barrier reef, second in size to the Great Barrier, where we got to snorkel with Manatees, rays and sharks (oh ok there was only one and it was a nurse shark, ie non dangerous) as well as seeing some fantastic fish and coral varieties before heading off to a nice island lunch, breaking open our own coconuts (hard work but very satisfying!). Early the next day )having spent the evening laughing at a Dutch karaoke hit squad) we moved onto Playa del Carmen, where I went to see the ruins of Tulum overlooking beautiful Carribbean water, and then moved onto Cancun where most of the group have now left, so only 2 of us remain aloung with 3 guides. We're hitting town hard tonight having only been up til 5 last night so could be interesting.........


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.144s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 56; dbt: 0.1047s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb