Mexico madness


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico
September 14th 2007
Published: September 29th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Acrid smoke filled my nostrils and the man running towards us seemed to be on fire. The night air was filled with a mix of screams, squeals, laughter, cheering and the strains of an oompa loompa brass band who were onto their 253rd rendition of the same song.

It was a celebration in the main square of Taxco, a tiny town in Mexico famous for its cobbled streets, icecream and fantastic silver jewellary.

The locals were enraptured with the spectacle of people trying to blow their own eyebrows off with homemade fireworks. The flimsy wooden contraptions were set alight with a heart stopping bang and the bearer of the flaming object then terrified and entertained onlookers by running madly around the square and into the crowd. Sometimes the spinning and spitting firecracker got too much to handle and wriggled its way free where it writhed and lurched along the ground like it was alive.

Normally the domain of men and boys, one elderly woman took her turn at running with the firework flying above her heard like a kite. Hearty cheers and applause erupted from the crowd and grandchildren were proud of their nanna. In the background, locals sold cakes, hot soup and tacos, while a policman tried in vain to direct the surging of the grinning spectators.

For two days and nights the firecrackers are set off. When they have all been ignited, the streets are lined with gunpowder and set off beneath the feet of unsuspecting walkers. Suprised locals and terrified tourists are momentarily deafened by the noise. The locals flinch a little but then continue their business as if it happens every day.....the tourists are left trying to administer CPR to their hearts that have stopped beating in fright......



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Mexican rock cakesMexican rock cakes
Mexican rock cakes

Hard enough to break your teeth
Firework spectactorsFirework spectactors
Firework spectactors

Keeping their distance
Ligthhearted artLigthhearted art
Ligthhearted art

Taxco Mexico
The imposing pyramidsThe imposing pyramids
The imposing pyramids

that are nowhere near taxco but pretty anyway!


Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0306s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb