Landing in Mexico City


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico
May 19th 2007
Published: May 19th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Landing in Mexico City
It is one of the easiest and most daunting places.
After all I had read and all that had been said I knew that I was going to experience something of a mish mash of cultures.
I knew there would be so many things that I would never see and never understand.
From an outsider looking in it may seem that it is a place of ‘take what you want and do how you feel’ and it is. However, what you take is up you.
For most visitors from the US who have already experienced an influx of Mexican culture it is could be said that it is quite an easy adjustment.
It could be said that their presence as one of the biggest economic industries (tourism) could change laws (and it does).
Mexico city is a sprawling example of the true new cultural and social problems.
This is creating a feeling of the lost generation.
People are living in shacks by the road. There is an air of a third world around this place.
Its thick in the air, like the fumes from it ever sprawling traffic.
It’s on the faces of people as you journey around.
Are they glad you are here???.
As a European, you had hoped that they would appreciate the chance of meeting and greeting people of distinctly different cultures.
Nevertheless, this city holds no friends for a cash-carrying tourist.
Your only true friend is the stall keeper preying on you, as you buy his over-inflated, spontaneously priced goods (which you accept.)
The city itself has the feeling of a sprawling metropolis.
People are just as busy as any other modern city, using the metro, (it works and is cheap) going to work or to university, every bit of the usual modern lifestyles.
The city has so much to offer: the zocola, museum after museum, parks, shopping, nightlife, not forgetting their cuisine, all the aesthetic things that would make your days full, full of all the joys of westernisation.
For me I felt the true city would devour me, as it is devouring many of it own inhabitants. It has little respect for them trying to scratch out a living.
To truly feel the energy of this city it would take a long time and a brave person.
Every person has their own experience and I only had a small speck of time to experience the things I felt.
Enjoy this city, because most of the inhabitants are not.



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.21s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0342s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb