Top 10 things to do in Cancun


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico
January 11th 2021
Published: January 11th 2021
Edit Blog Post

Visiting Cancun is the ultimate getaway and for many, when they think of this stunning part of the world, the first thing that comes to mind is relaxing by the crystal-clear beaches enjoying the glorious weather. While this leisurely activity is a must-do, there are so many other amazing opportunities for wanderlust and adventure. To ensure you embrace all that Cancun has to offer we've compiled a list of the 10 ten things to do when visiting.

1. Hire a yacht

If your budget allows, you can't go past hiring a yacht to cruise along the turquoise waters of the Riviera Maya. Soaking up the sunshine, exploring secluded islands whilst getting wined and dined, it doesn’t get much better than that. Most offer you the opportunity to stopover for snorkeling or to visit popular beaches. You can avoid the crowds and relax at your own pace while enjoying exclusive areas of Cancun that cannot be seen from the land. If you choose to hire a yacht all day, you can admire beautiful sunsets and the lit-up skyline upon your return. Most companies offer a selection of yachts varying in sizes, prices, and tour durations. You can also go on a group tour which is considerably cheaper than a private charter.

2. Underwater activities

When it comes to underwater activities, you are spoilt for choice here in Cancun. Snorkeling is a popular favorite and can be done by people of all swimming abilities. Some companies run their tours through shallow lagoons that are filled with an abundance of sea life, it also makes it easier for swimmers who aren’t overly confident to stand if they need to. For those a little more confident, you can book a snorkeling tour that ventures through caves or the ocean. In Cancun, you can snorkel around shipwrecks and observe an array of sea life and coral in its natural environment. For swimmers that are a little more adventurous, scuba diving is a fitting choice. Explore the underwater wonders or you can get the heart racing with a bull shark or whale shark dive.

3. Above water activities

There is no shortage of water sports here, whether you are a beginner or experienced, there is something for everyone. On the crystal clear waters, you will find many favorites, including jet-skiing, kayaking, paddle boarding, sailing, and surfing. If you are not confident with any of these activities, let your tour guide know, they are usually very accommodating and have floatation devices available to help keep you safe and afloat.

4. Jungle tour

This is a great day out for anyone visiting Cancun. Jungle tours include speed boating through the mangroves to the picturesque Nichupte Lagoon. Here you can see natives including turtles, crocodiles, and frogs. Many include snorkeling at Punta Nizuc which is brimming with an array of colorful fish and sea life.

5. Museo Subacuático de Arte (MUSA) (Underwater Art Museum)

Museo Subacuático is an underwater sculpture garden that was created by an artist to attract people to the area and away from the natural reefs which are suffering. It is one of the world's largest artificial underwater art attractions. This museum features more than 500 sunken life-size statues that encourage coral growth. Many snorkeling and scuba tours run here although, getting in the water is not the only way you can see this magnificent display, it can be viewed via a glass-bottom boat if swimming isn't your thing.

6. The Cenotes

A cenote is a deep pool of water that is usually formed with limestone. It is created when the roof of a cave sinks in and rainwater and underground rivers fill the hole. Many cenotes feature fish and bats. They are surrounded by jungle and most are deep enough cliff jump into. The water is fresh and it is usually a stunning turquoise color. While most cenotes are not found in Cancun itself, many operators offer day trips to these locations and they truly are a spectacular sight and worth the trip. Some popular cenotes near Cancun include Cenote Siete Bocas, Cenote La Noria, and Cenote Azul.

7. Chichen Itza Ruins

ChichénItzá is an ancient site that covers nearly 4 miles. It's said to have been established around 400s A.D and is listed as one of the new seven wonders of the world. People that visit are astounded by the detail and workmanship of the ancient landmark. Here you will find the iconic step pyramid and many stone-carved structures. At night, there is a sound and light show that illuminates the ancient ruins which is a stunning view and popular amongst tourists. If you visit during the Autumn or Spring Equinoxes, when the sun hits the steps, it casts a shadow that appears to be a serpent crawling down the pyramid. It is a breathtaking spectacle. Located in Yucatan and around a 2 hours drive from Cancun.

8. Tulum Mayan Ruins

The Tulum Mayan Ruins can be found at Tulum National Park and is a magnificent sight. It features ancient archaeological ruins on a clifftop of a private turquoise beach. Situated 130 kilometers south of Cancun, these ruins are closer than Chichen Itza and are more affordable too. For less than 40 pesos, you can enter. Chichen Itza is around 230 pesos. Surrounding the site, you'll find an abundance of palm trees, iguanas, and cacti. Located only moments from the ruins is downtown Tulum which has an array of restaurants and bars. You can make a day of it when you travel here.

9. Head to Downtown Cancun

Cancun is well known for its thriving nightlife and many venues offer fantastic entertainment opportunities in the Hotel Zone. A few minute's drive from here is Downtown Cancun which boasts a friendly community vibe and arguably has some of the best bars and restaurants around. Some popular attractions include Parque Las Palapas. It is a plaza that offers local foods such as food carts and food courts, a play area for the kids, and many handmade arts and crafts. Another is Market 28, a vibrant flea market that offers a taste of authentic Mexico, featuring several restaurants, and stalls that display a huge variety of jewelry, handmade toys, handicrafts, and more. Remember, when you are here to barter, it’s a good way to grab a bargain.

10. Selvatica tours

If you're looking for some adrenaline-pumping activities, you can't go past Selvatica. With height-defying zip-lines that fly past the treetops, off-road buggy driving through mud tracks, and snorkeling guided tours in the Caribbean ocean there's an activity for every enthusiast. Situated less than an hour from Cancun and with so many activities on offer, it is worth the drive.

We hope this has given you an insight into the many activities that Cancun has to offer. Here at Riviera Charters, we provide luxury yacht tours on the tranquil waters of Cancun. With an onboard chef serving a delectable selection of food and drinks while being transported to some of the most beautiful locations in Cancun, it's an unforgettable experience and is sure to be the highlight of your trip. For more information, check out our website or get in touch with our friendly team.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 17; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0301s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb