Highs and lows


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico
September 21st 2018
Published: September 22nd 2018
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Teotihuacan


We are up early today to visit the pyramids at Teotihuacan. This involves another metro trip but this time changing lines half way through. We wanted to be up early to avoid the sardine crush of yesterday! Amazingly the price is exactly the same as yesterday despite being four times the distance.

The metro takes us to the Northern Bus Terminal where it’s a simple process to buy a return ticket and the bus leaves after only 10 minutes. It’s a pretty basic bus but it was our only option unless we wanted the full blown guided tour or a private taxi. The bus takes an hour with one stop on the way where a security guard boards the bus to take all our photos! We arrive as the site opens at 9am and are glad we did so as the sun is already hot.

The site is much larger than we had imagined and it’s pretty hard going with steep steps to ascend and descend along the way. We reach the Temple of the Moon by walking up the Avenue of the Dead, so named by the Aztecs who believed that the buildings alongside were royal tombs. We puff our way up the steep staircase of the temple which is a four tiered pyramid...although it’s only possible to climb the first two. Here we have magnificent views of the site and the surrounding countryside.

On the return we pass the Temple of the Sun. This is the third largest pyramid in the world made of bricks and earth and covered in stone. This one has steps all the way to its six tiered summit but we decide to give it a miss and admire it from ground level.
We return to the bus stop only to find we are too early and must wait 90 minutes for the return bus. We sit in the shade to wait hopelessly at the mercy of the street vendors but thankfully they leave us alone fairly quickly.

The bus that arrives to take us back to Mexico City is a bit better than the one coming. An hour later and we are back at the bus station. The metro ride back to the centre is also better than earlier and we even manage to secure seats on both trains!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.418s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0868s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb