3/21 Cozumel, Mexico


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico
March 21st 2018
Published: March 29th 2018
Edit Blog Post

With our ship the last to dock in Cozumel at 11am, we have plenty of leisure time this morning. We take a light breakfast poolside, observing the docking process as we pull along side the Carnival Valor. Today they are five other ships in Cozumel, all of them here prior to our arrival at 11. Along with the Carnival Valor and Carnival Victory are the Rhapsody of the Seas, Vision of the Seas and Celebrity Reflection. Including the Holland America Nieuw Amsterdam, there are 17,141 cruisers in Cozumel for the day. Arriving so late, it will be afternoon before we get to Senor Sanchez Beach Resort.

With breakfast over, we run a few errands aboard ship. We find that we still have over $300 of shipboard credit to use in the next two days, none of which is refundable. Karen will need to hit the stores. With that news we exit the ship a little after 12 noon. The pier itself is long so it takes us a while to reach the entrance to the town. Entering a long narrow building stretching out before us, we are bombarded by Mexican sales people. First is the liquor section followed by perfume, jewelry, souvenirs, excursions and clothing. In between are actors dressed as Aztecs, Nazis and monsters, waiting for "Los Turistas" to get there picture taken with them. Of course, for "dinero". It reminded me of the movies where prisoners are forced to "Run the Gauntlet" whereby they pass in between their captors who hit them rocks and sticks. Those that finally make it are rewarded with a clean death. Karen is looking and talking while she goes through. I can't speed her up and her torture becomes mine. "Pro, senor?" followed by "You like cigarettes?" It's bad enough if you move fast, keep your head down, make no eye contact and repeat, No, no, gracias". With Karen, the pain is extended and I can only hope for mercy and a quick death when we emerge.

Battered and torn, we exit the end of the sales building only to face a myriad of shops selling more of the same as well as a few specialty items. We have no choice but to stay low and keep moving. The taxi stand is just ahead if we can make it. Oh no! Karen is stopping to rest and their moving in for the kill! I want to help but I must save myself so I hide behind a large column and witness the carnage from afar. She puts up a good fight for awhile but then yells to me, "What do you think of this perfume? Come smell." Her interest in the product only intensifies their efforts and, while I wish to help her, I stay at a distance, hidden by the concrete column and leave her to her fate.

Miraculously, she appears, no less the wear and without any purchase. How she did it I'll never know but the sellers besiege another unsuspecting traveler, like jackals to a wounded wilderbeast. The taxis are now within reach and I respond to the dispatcher's query by practicing my Spanish, "Senor Sanchez, port favor". The driver notes that the ride will be $17, we agree to that and off we go on the 20 minute drive. We arrive without consequence, the driver accepts my $20 and we make our entrance into the resort. Guests from the other ships have already arrived and the place is full but we have reservations secured on the internet months ago.

Senor Sanchez is an all-inclusive resort on the beach rated 5 stars by TripAdvisor. It's the same place we went last year with Queenie and the kid. A place where she would eat or drink nothing while Jonathan tried everything. Anyway, we decided to return again this year rather than travel 8 hours to visit Mayan Ruins or cave tubing where Karen refused to join me. Senor Sanchez is a nice place with all food and drinks included. We are escorted to our own palapa with chairs and an additional two lounge chairs on the beach which we never use. Antonio is our server and promptly brings us a Margarita and a Pina Colada, soon to be followed with a shrimp cocktail, coconut shrimp and fajitas accompanied by more drinks. Mom cons me into getting a foot & leg massage for $35. Aahhh. I take a few shots around the place and then we head to the pool. It's warm and inviting with a swim up bar. Remember, drinks are free. We stay here for another hour, then return to our palapa where Antonio freshens up our drinks and adds some French fries. By 4pm almost all the guests have left and since the place closes at 5, we bid farewell to Antonio, parting ways with a few new Spanish phrases to reference.

Karen picks up some Cephalexin 500mg in case of infection for $12. No prescription needed at the on site "Farmacia". Then another $17 cab ride back to the port. The walk back through the shops isn't nearly as daunting as before. The crowds are less and the sales people worn out. We note that one jewelry store which earlier had 10 salesmen now had only six, all standing at the entrance. Who would ever attempt to shop in a place greeted by 10 salesmen. The odds of getting out of there intact are slim. We buy one t-shirt for $8 and return to the ship.

Deciding it's too late at 5:15pm to dine in the dining room with our new table mates from last night, we venture up to Deck 11 where we order a tea and a hot chocolate and, while overlooking the port from our interior lounge chairs, I continue the blog and Karen reads the NY Times. After, we return to our stateroom for showers and then dinner up in the Lido. Not finding anything of interest at the buffet, we settle for pizza and salad at the aft pool. I think tonight is another good night for a movie. Tomorrow is a relaxing sea day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement



Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.034s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0441s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb