A Week in Merida


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Yucatán » Merida
December 7th 2015
Published: December 10th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Paseo de MontejoPaseo de MontejoPaseo de Montejo

This wide boulevard contains many mansions built by sisal barons.
We spent a week in Merida in the Yucatan. Merida is approximately 200 miles west of Cancun. It is about four hours on the ADO bus from Cancun airport. We stayed in a 1800’s restored colonial home in the Santiago area of the historic district. Merida was founded in the 1500’s in an area populated by the Mayans. Many of the churches and historic buildings built by the Spaniards used building stones from Mayan pyramids in the area. The history of this area is marred by the oppression of the indigenous Mayans by the Spaniards. Many of the Mayans were oppressed workers on sisal plantations. This era provided the where with all to build mansions along Paseo de Montejo. A fantastic depiction of this history is provided via murals at the Government House in the Plaza Grand. However, now the Yucataneans celebrate their emancipation of the Mayans and their rich culture. Merida does a fantastic job of providing free entertainment almost every night at one of the many squares and parks. Sunday is an especially entertaining day at the Plaza Grand. Yucatanean food is characterized by corn, bean, lime, turkey/chicken, pork and the every present sour orange and achiote seed. Pibil, meat marinated in sour orange and achiote seed, is representative of Yucatanean food.












Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Hacienda Sotuta de PeonHacienda Sotuta de Peon
Hacienda Sotuta de Peon

Combing the sisal


Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0396s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb