Merida


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Yucatán » Merida
September 21st 2011
Published: September 22nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Was left all by myself again in Cancun.. one by one my friends left me.... So i left too.
I am now in Merida, in the state of Yucatan. This is the Mayan region and is full of ruins. Though i couldn't see them all i went to the main ones, Chichen itza (large pre-Columbian archaeological site built by the Maya civilization), which are about 2 hours from Merida. Apparently they are now recognized as one of the wonders of the world, and i can see why.
The ruins are over 1500 years old.. a little older then my mum. there is a great huge pyramid that towers over the site as you walk in the main entrance, followed by many other ruins as you walk around the huge site being heckled by the many almost midget status Mexicans trying to sell you stuff.. all of the same stuff i might add (i didn't want that carved wooden jaguar head from the guy next to you... why would i want yours?).
This was an all day trip where i almost melted in the sun, but was saved by a nice cool corona at the end.
Spent the next day wandering around the town of Merida, though there wasn't a whole lot to write home about. It must have once been a fairly wealthy area, as there are some huge houses here, but many are dilapidated with big over growing vines etc. and appeared empty. Though you could see they would have once looked really nice.
Checked out some museums and got in touch with my civilized cultural side.
Heading off tomorrow to be one nature and hang out in the jungle to see yet again more ruins.
Slowly making my way back to Mexico city before i head home.




Additional photos below
Photos: 52, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0587s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb