Day 35 - Palenque to Merida


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Yucatán » Merida
June 28th 2007
Published: June 28th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Day 35, Thursday 28 June 2007 - Palenque to Merida, travel day.

Not a whole lot to report today. We had a 9 hour bus trip from Palenque to Merida. Should have only been 8 hours, but the heavy rain and lightening delayed us by an hour. Also made it a bit uncomfortable for some people on the bus, as the bus leaked badly!!! Still, we managed ok.

The only excitement on the trip was being stopped on the boarder by the army. They stop all travellers and take you and all your stuff off the bus and search your bags. You´re not allowed to take photos of them, so the only ones I´ve got were snuck through the windows of the bus! They are looking for any artefacts and luckily didn´t find any on any of us!

We arrived in Merida around 5pm and once at the hotel, went straight to a very westernised restuarant called Panchos. There was a whole wall of Pancho pics out the front in Andy Warhol style, very funny.

Given the only thing we´d had to eat all day was ´snacks´on the bus, it probably wasn´t a good idea to straight away get in on the 2 for 1 margaritas, but we did it anyway! Damn good margaritas and for 50 paesos (around 5 bucks) for 2, it was a bargain. The food was also really good, Toni and I sharing the best nachos and chimichangas we´ve had so far. Along with 8 margaritas for me and 6 for her, it was a good night!!!

Tomorrow is a free day to explore and I´m hoping the rain will have kept the heat away, as this place is just as hot as Palenque...


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

MeMe
Me

with 5 of my margaritas!
Tim, Colin and JackiTim, Colin and Jacki
Tim, Colin and Jacki

messing around as only drunk people can!
Gerhard drunk...Gerhard drunk...
Gerhard drunk...

enough said, I think!
Impressive coffeeImpressive coffee
Impressive coffee

two of the waiters making a coffee
Self portraitSelf portrait
Self portrait

of Toni and me


Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.057s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb