Catching up on Mayan history


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Yucatán » Merida
February 28th 2007
Published: March 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hall of muralsHall of muralsHall of murals

In the Government Palace (a large hacienda convered into a series of government offices), this beautiful hall showcases murals depicting the colonial overthrow of the traditional Mayan way of life.
Blogger Doug

Merida used to be the colonial capital of Mexico. Nowadays it is the starting point for most expeditions into the Yucatan Pennisula. We had a day to ourselves today to do as we please. We walked from our hotel into the city centre and went to the Governors house, home to some awesome murals depicting the life and struggle of the mayans. They were huge and amazingly painted. We then checked out the modern art museum and jumped on the open top bus and headed up to the Anthropolical Museum. This was a really great place to learn and view some of the key mayan artifacts still in Mexican possession. I was very impressed by this small museum. Most was translated into English which made it all accessible to us non Spaniards. We then hopped on the bus and check out a local shopping centre to escape the heat. At the end of the day we drove past the city mayan memorial an impressive structure in the middle of a giant round about.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Pagan imagery!Pagan imagery!
Pagan imagery!

Love it!! Finally found a symbol of paganism after a solid diet of hell and highwater in the million other churches we have visited in the last month.
A-maize-ingA-maize-ing
A-maize-ing

Maize is the most potent symbol of Mayan belief - everything stems from maize, including humankind.


Tot: 0.12s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0594s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb