Merida and Progresso


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Yucatán » Merida
March 1st 2007
Published: March 11th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Our Merida PiscinaOur Merida PiscinaOur Merida Piscina

We stayed at the Hotel Trinidad Galeria in Merida. The "Galeria" part refers to the greatest hodge podge collection of sculpture, paintings, dolls, cement gargoyles, inflated superheroes,etc. arguably in Mexico. The pool was a godsend in the late afternoon as well as in the early morning. The pool "opened" at 9am, but the cleaners came in at that point, hence a bit of a scheduling issue. We took our morning coffee, brewed in our rooms, which was another no no, and went to the pool at 7am or so before the cleaners awoke. It was sweet, just beginning the day quietly floating in the early morning.
After kicking back on Isla for about 3 weeks decided to head out to Merida in the Yucatan as well as Progresso on the Gulf. We used a 2nd class bus (segundo) from Cancun to Merida, taking about 7 hours and visiting every Tom, Dick and Harry type town along the way. This is the way we like to travel i.e. seeing folks and places along the way rather then barreling through. Have to say though, Merida was a welcome site.

Merida, as a Spanish city, started with its´ conquest by Francisco de Montego. Prior to this, it was the Mayan city of T¨ho. Upon entering the city, the conquerors were reminded of the Roman architecture which remained in Merida, Spain, hence the name. We enjoyed the modern Merida for its¨, music, architecture and art.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Universidad de YucatanUniversidad de Yucatan
Universidad de Yucatan

The architecture of the ground floor is "revolutionary", (sic), the middle for is Moorish and the top Spanish.
Merida Main PlazaMerida Main Plaza
Merida Main Plaza

This is the Catedral de San Ildefonso, which takes up part of the east side of the Plaza Grande in the centre of Merida (El Centro). It is a former site of a Mayan temple, built in 1561 by hundreds of Mayan laborers; using stones from their former temple (talk about insult to injury).
The Centro Cultural OlimpoThe Centro Cultural Olimpo
The Centro Cultural Olimpo

We took a night out to the Orquesta Synphonica de Yucatan where we. listened to works by: C. Chavez, Mozart, J. Adams and Stravinsky. The cost, 60 pesos i.e. about $6 US.
Merida and ProgressoMerida and Progresso
Merida and Progresso

Not La Scala, but close.
Our Progresso Beach TripOur Progresso Beach Trip
Our Progresso Beach Trip

One Domingo (sunday), off we went by bus to Progresso, about 45 minutes north of Merida, on the Gulf of Mexico. An idelic "day at the beach," as it were; of course 10,000 Mexicans had the same idea. Still, it was a good day.
CoolersCoolers
Coolers

This family stayed put under the boat for the entire afternoon, except for infrequent plunges in the gulf. This, along with muchos cervezas from a handy cooler resulted in a satisfying day at the beach.
Our Progresso Beach BreakfastOur Progresso Beach Breakfast
Our Progresso Beach Breakfast

Sitting by the Gulf, being served breakfast, we reflected on Victoria and all that we left behind (although not for long I have to say.)
An Innocent Pink PantherAn Innocent Pink Panther
An Innocent Pink Panther

Heading "home" to Merida from Progresso on our segundo class bus, which is normally full of Mexicans, as distinct from the foreign ladden Ist class transport, I struck up a "conversation" with this little five year old. She knew not a word of English but between smiles, arm movements, and the help of her sister we did fine.
StarletteStarlette
Starlette

After taking many photos of our little companion, with the ok of her protective mother who sat nearby, and showing her the digital pictures after each shot, she became very relaxed. Using my sunglasses she "posed" for this photo op as self-confident as any Hollywood star. (Later, after I thought I had impressed her with the "high tech" digital camera, she borrowed her mother's phone and took my picture!)


Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0511s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb