Beating the crowds at Chichen Itza


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Yucatán » Chichén Itzá
July 14th 2008
Published: July 16th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Day 15: Monday 14th July - An early morning at Chichen Itza

Nearly got locked out of my hostel last night - would probably have been a blessing because its a dump, but all my gear is inside so have to wake the owners up (and probably the whole neighbourhood) to get in!

Get up early to beat the crowds at Chichen Itza - not with a baseball bat but there are a few obnoxious tourists there on day trips from Cancun who probably deserve it!! - rather to get there before its swarming with tourists.

Chichen Itza is probably the most famous Mayan site and therefore the most popular. Whilst undoubtedly impressive it lacks the backdrop of Palenque, the rawness of Calakmul, and perhaps the beauty of Uxmal. Its on a par with the aforementioned Mayan ruins but its not in my opinion any better. El Castillo is the standout ruin and fortunately because I'm there before 9am there aren't many people around which adds to the experience.

Book my ticket on to Tulum whilst at Chichen Itza, unfortunately the next bus doesn't leave until mid afternoon so head back into Piste to kill some time rather than being crushed under the continuous melee of new arrivals to Chichen Itza.




Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



Tot: 0.04s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0199s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb