Yucatan


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Yucatán » Chichén Itzá
January 29th 2008
Published: January 29th 2008
Edit Blog Post

A GAP tour of the Yucatan and Mayan Ruins


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Chichen ItzaChichen Itza
Chichen Itza

Swarming with tourists. Hard to get good shots without gringoes
Chichen ItzaChichen Itza
Chichen Itza

Our Tour Guide Felipe was amazing in explaining to us the ancient Mayan civilization here as we explored the ancient stonework.
Chichen ItzaChichen Itza
Chichen Itza

This is the biggest "ball court" in Mesoamerica. The goal was for each team to try to get the ball through this opening! Not sure how big the ball was.
Chichen ItzaChichen Itza
Chichen Itza

The detailed carvings were amazing to see... the jaguar was a Mayan god
Chichen ItzaChichen Itza
Chichen Itza

estimated to have been founded in 432. houses some of the finest examples of Mayan architecture ever excavated.
Chichen ItzaChichen Itza
Chichen Itza

Felipe our Tour Guide clapped his hands and demonstrated the incredible acoustics here. The Mayan leaders spoke from on high and all could hear!
Chichen ItzaChichen Itza
Chichen Itza

Some of the carvings include decapitated heads and heart eating eagles.
Merida, YucatanMerida, Yucatan
Merida, Yucatan

Lovely colonial city and the capital of the Yucatan. Also known as la ciudad blanca, the white city. We stayed here for 2 nights.
Route to the CenotesRoute to the Cenotes
Route to the Cenotes

on Day 3 of our GAP tour we went with others in our GAP group to 3 incredible cenotes - "water sink holes". Near Merida in the town of Cuzama.
Into the CenotesInto the Cenotes
Into the Cenotes

Really it is worth it.
PalenquePalenque
Palenque

Fabulous tour by Salvador. Incredible to see these Mayan buildings being unearthed -literally! This site was abandoned around 900 and sat hidden by jungle for years.
Palenque, ChiapasPalenque, Chiapas
Palenque, Chiapas

emerging from the jungle
San Juan ChamulaSan Juan Chamula
San Juan Chamula

Day 6 of our GAP tour. We toured 2 Mayan villages with our tour guide Caesar. A privilege to visit their traditional ways of life.
San Juan ChamulaSan Juan Chamula
San Juan Chamula

We walked about this village with Caesar as well as San Lorenzo Zinacanton. Women, men and children in traditional dress. Beautiful weavings.
San Cristobal, ChiapasSan Cristobal, Chiapas
San Cristobal, Chiapas

beautiful colonial town high up in the mountains. It was actually frio/cold at night and we needed jackets! Famous for Zapatista rebellion staged here in 1994. We saw an excellent documentary that night - "Zapatistas -Chronicle of a revolution".
San Cristobal, ChiapasSan Cristobal, Chiapas
San Cristobal, Chiapas

visiting the beautiful markets
San Cristobal, ChiapasSan Cristobal, Chiapas
San Cristobal, Chiapas

food on display - art in the market
San Cristobal, ChiapasSan Cristobal, Chiapas
San Cristobal, Chiapas

Templo de Santo Domingo
Crossing the border from Mexico to GuatemalaCrossing the border from Mexico to Guatemala
Crossing the border from Mexico to Guatemala

On Day 7 of our GAP tour - Jan. 25 -we crossed the border on foot at La Mesilla/Ciudad Cuauhtemoc. Incredible experience! Went through the Mexican border then into 4 taxis which wove in and out on dirt roads behind the market stalls -and then there we were changing our money and loading our packs on and then we hiked! Ducked under a wooden road sign and poof -we were in Guatemala! Hiked way up hill about 15 minutes past stall after stall of produce and handicrafts and really anything you could imagine! Then we reached the Chicken Bus! More on that later.
Panajachel, GuatemalaPanajachel, Guatemala
Panajachel, Guatemala

in the Guatemalan Highlands. Had a beautiful boat tour of Lake Atitlan.
La Casa Del MundoLa Casa Del Mundo
La Casa Del Mundo

House of the World on Lake Atitlan- a beautiful place where we stopped for breakfast. Built by Bill (from USA) and Rosy (from Guatemala) who met and married in Alaska then moved here with their 2 sons. Absolutely breathtaking! And the breakfast burritos and fresh Guatemalan coffee were divine! Next time we shall stay overnight too!
San PedroSan Pedro
San Pedro

Great little hippy colony on Lake Atitlan. Flash back - Flash back
Santiago - boatsSantiago - boats
Santiago - boats

The most unseaworthy looking craft I have ever seen.


2nd February 2008

masons
You would think that after 1500 years of practice we could now find a mason who could put three bricks together in a straight line. Such amazing work accomplished without trade unions, overtime pay or building codes......then again, screw up and your heart was yanked out with a rusty knife. We should try this tactic.
16th February 2008

cheers
well I'd have to agree with david's comment... lol. great pics guys... looks like you're having 'almost' as much fun as me :) ... jk... looking forward to crossing paths.

Tot: 0.159s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 13; qc: 54; dbt: 0.106s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb