Tuxpan


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Tamaulipas » Tampico
April 1st 2009
Published: April 7th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


April 1, Wednesday,

While getting ready to pack up, I discovered the bike cover to have a coating of that cling-on dust. I couldn't shake it off, so I stuffed it up with the dusty side against itself and figured I'd wash it clean at the next opportunity. I'm just glad I covered the bike or the dust would have been coating the bike instead. The whole hotel was coated with the stuff, I pity the guys that have to clean up from that. One was already wiping down all the exterior walls of the place. After some fruit and coffee for breakfast we were on the road by 9:30. The southbound road from Soto la Marina to Tampico was very uneven. Some spots were fine, others had sink hole sections along the side, some big potholes, and of course, plenty of topes (toe-pays) in every little village. Topes are speed bumps, most of them are high enough to bottom out sports cars and crotch rockets, though my GS does fine over them. They do give Deb a bit of a jolt. 287 kilometers take a while when going through this kind of stuff, and while being patient enough to wait for the open spots to get around double-trailer semi's on this two lane road. The only other option was a dirt road that would probably have taken even longer, and only for about half the way. Today was probably the most unpleasant traffic day, but the terrain was very pretty, lots of ranch land, a few lakes, many mountains off in the distance, and along the way as we approached Tampico. The town of Tampico is on a river, close to the gulf, and apparently Wednesday is market day in Mexico, as was evident in both La Pesca this morning and here in Tampico tonight. Arriving at about 7:00 tonight, we checked out several hotels in town, cheapest was 690 pesos, with secured parking about 3 blocks away. Most expensive was the Holiday Inn at 1050 pesos. We settled for May Palace, at 750 p, and parking underground, with the bike out of view of the street. Quick showers, a bit of window shopping and some seafood for supper, and we're back in the room ready for bed. This was the longest day's ride so far, time wise.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0679s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb