Traveling with Friends to El Cielo


Advertisement
North America » Mexico » Tamaulipas » Gomez Farias » El Cielo
March 24th 2010
Published: March 23rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

This travelblog covers a lot of distance and time. After leaving our son Nick and the Salton Sea in southern California we headed back to Tucson and the Sonoran Desert. After re-provisioning and some vehicle maintenance in Tucson, we headed south some 40 miles to Patagonia Lake State Park, one of our favorite Arizona State Parks. The plan was to meet Peter and Trudy Brussard and their two dogs, Mo... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 47, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Altamira OrioleAltamira Oriole
Altamira Oriole

Bentsen-Rio Grande Valley State Park is the headquarters of the World Birding Center. It is a remnant of the once heavily wooded Lower Rio Grande Valley. Getting around the park’s roads and trails is only permitted by walking, bike, or tram ride (provided hourly by the park). Feeding stations are established during the winter months and attract many South Texas specialty birds, such as the Altamira Oriole.
Great Kiskadee (a flycatcher) Great Kiskadee (a flycatcher)
Great Kiskadee (a flycatcher)

The park includes 1,700 acres and is open 7 a.m.-10 p.m. seven days a week. A major attraction is a handicap-access two-story observation tower used as a hawk census point during the fall and spring migration. The tower overlooks a resaca (ox-bow lake) that was once a segment of the Rio Grande.
Green Jay feeding on grapefruitGreen Jay feeding on grapefruit
Green Jay feeding on grapefruit

If South Texas had nothing else to offer, the grapefruit would be worth coming for!
Plain ChachalacaPlain Chachalaca
Plain Chachalaca

Though drab and inconspicuous-looking, the plain chachalaca is bigger than a pheasant and best known for its incredibly loud, raucous vocalization usually given in synchronized chorus by groups of birds.
Sunset on our El Cielo TripSunset on our El Cielo Trip
Sunset on our El Cielo Trip

After several days exploring the sites around Bentsen-Rio Grande Valley State Park, Peter and Trudy towed “Big Foot” north to Houston for a visit with relatives. Lynn and Jon plan to remain at Bentsen-Palms RV Resort through the end of April. A major activity for Jon will be assisting with the spring migratory hawk survey conducted at the state park’s observation tower. Lynn is volunteering to help organize the data being collected at the hawk watch and also providing companionship for dogs in a shelter for abandoned pets. If we accumulate any additional "show & tell" items this trip, we will send out another travelblog later in the spring.



Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0552s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb