Second stop Alamos


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Sonora » Alamos
December 8th 2008
Published: December 9th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Walking the plank......Walking the plank......Walking the plank......

This the dry river bed? which you cross to get to our camp , they offer a plank board walk for foot passangers.
We left Kino Bay on the 3rd of Dec and traveled south to San Carlos to vist with Martin and Hilda, they are jeff's aunt and uncle who are there for a month. Had a nice dinner and spent the night on a free beach.The next morning we drove to Guaymas to stock up on staples,coffee,sugar,dry products and toilet paper all of which are less expensive and easier to find in larger centers.On to Navoja which is the turn off for Alamos which is 53km inland.
We wanted to be in the RV park on the outside of town but that also ment we had to go right through the middle of town ....


The narrow cobble stone streets and one way roads made this very intimidating in a 20 foot motorhome , as you can see from the pictures of our route.



We made it through town crossed the river and around the cemetary to the Acosta RV park ,which pleasently surprised both of us . Palm and fruit trees surround the park and offer lots of shade and protection for alot of birds.We have seen humming birds, owls, orials,vermilian fly catchers,and lots we
Zaragoza & ComercioZaragoza & ComercioZaragoza & Comercio

This is where we had to take our motorhome through to get to the park. We had on coming and traffic behind us and a guy on horse back fo an audience.
can not identify yet.



Alamos is a great town full of colonial homes, cobble stone streets and a amazing old church built between 1786 and 1804. It's nestled in a valley with the Sierra Madre Occidental mountains as a back drop.



They suffered a huricane here October 11 and are still cleaning up after the flood waters washed out most of the local bridges which run down the side of town and separte most of the residental area.


The church in town La Parroquia de la Purisima Concepcion"Church of the Immaculate Conception" is under going restoration work but is still quite amazing,the cental plaza offers venders of all types from clothes to food and is always a fun place to hang out and people watch.





We climbed to the top of the El Mirador today which is a look out post on the south side of Alamos, we took the foot path up which was described in the Lonley planet guide. Well let me tell you it was a mountain goat trail straight up the face of rock through a narrow under brush trail.You climb about 300+
Las Delicias at PosadaLas Delicias at PosadaLas Delicias at Posada

This graveyard is right behind our camp has graves that date back to the 1700's
feet up at a 33%+ grade. Needless to say the veiw was not the only breath taking thing.


We took the cobble stone road back down back through town and ended up catching a precession of people carring a large statue of " Virgin of Guadalupe" through the streets to the church,you see these staues in front of homes , painted on walls ,at road side markers and in cars.

Note; If you click on a picture it will enlarge , or you can watch a slide show.



Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Comercio calle Comercio calle
Comercio calle

Some homes on the Comercio the older distric of town
Gutierrez calleGutierrez calle
Gutierrez calle

The narrow cobble stone roads of Alamos hold all sorts of curio shops and Cajetas,which are shops that sell presevers.
Church of the Immaculate ConecptionChurch of the Immaculate Conecption
Church of the Immaculate Conecption

Built between 1786 and 1804 it has subterranean passages between it and some of the local mansions.They where blocked off in the 1950's
El MiradorEl Mirador
El Mirador

Cental Alamos from the El Mirador shows the two plazas,church,and the municipal buildings.
The sentryThe sentry
The sentry

The local dogs find the highest point to guard their territory
Homes for sale?Homes for sale?
Homes for sale?

Barrio El Volantin this house looked like someone had strted and ran out of money . It had a nice court yard with arched enterance to the living area.
Touring Alamos on horsebackTouring Alamos on horseback
Touring Alamos on horseback

Most of the local farmers still travel by horse to town.
La Peurta Rojo InnLa Peurta Rojo Inn
La Peurta Rojo Inn

One of the many colonial homes restored to become a Inn.
Alamos cemetaryAlamos cemetary
Alamos cemetary

Quiet skies
Doors of AlamosDoors of Alamos
Doors of Alamos

Wrought iron work comes in all types.


10th December 2008

Sooooo Interesting!!!!!!
Wow!!! This all so fasinating..the pictures are just incrediable....and you are doing an excellent job on your documentation of this trip.
10th December 2008

Hmmph !!
I did not know that you guys had left yet!!...Good for you and thanks for adding me to your contacts. It looks absolutely wonderful. Have a great time and stay in touch. It is now HARD water season here.
12th December 2008

Thinking of you
Well,... I finally broke through my distaste for spending time on the computer at home and and looked through your blog. Wow, as previously stated ,..this is great. Christmas is approaching and Lesley's bump is getting bigger. If you haven't heard, its a boy and he will be called Owen. Let me tell you, ...for and old man I'm pretty excited about him being born. I hosted a great christmas party at my house the past Saturday. There were approximately 50 people in attendance and we did a fund raiser for a dispatchers family whos 5 year old son just went through surgery for a brain tumor. We raised a good sum of monies and it gave the party a little extra something. I've started watching christmas shows with the kids and they couldn't be more excited. Put up a 7 foot real tree and there is a blizzard outside as I type. We miss you guys but couldn't be happier for you. Merry christmas and keep the blog going. Love Perry and family ( growing family ).
13th December 2008

second stop alamos
I hope this gets to you. I wish I was there. As we got our first snowfall and it is beautiful. But it is freezin here, probably not as cold as grand forks. I hope you are basking in the sun. As we are working our asses of up here. Take care Pam and Steve P.s. this is so cool to see where you are.
13th January 2009

Are you OK?
WE have not heard from you for a while so I figured I would check up on you. You missed a duzey of a winter here....way more snow than you want to know about.....I have 6 foot drifts along the side of my driveway and the sides of the house.....now it is all melting. Have fun and stay safe. Bud
17th January 2009

Still Kicking....
Hey Bud ya we are fine just relocated to Ricon de Guayabitos and where without internet for awhile...

Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 54; dbt: 0.034s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb