a mexican snow day


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Sinaloa » Mazatlan
September 1st 2006
Published: September 1st 2006
Edit Blog Post

well i am supposed to be struggling through 4 hours of spanish right now but fortunately hurricane john has been good to mazatlan and made it rain just enough to cancel school. i am pretty pumped about that. it rained so much last night it is insane and the water was so high some friends tried to order pizza but they couldn't get to their house to deliver. there was probably about a metre of water in some streets where the sidewalks are high enough. it was really windy for a while too last night and all the fishermen had their boats pulled up onto the malecon just in case the hurricane hit here. i guess a hurricane hasn't hit here in about 30 years (says my professor who really isn't the smartest and i'm pretty sure she makes a lot of stuff up....so who knows if its true) so not many people were worried here but some went out and bought supplies just in case. its still raining now but the streets aren't near as full as last night because its evaporates so fast during the day its nuts. i should have taken some pictures last night but i never though of it...im sur eit will happen again though.
its been a pretty uneventful week, although monday night was heathers birthday so me, heather, cam, ilona, carlos, and jason all went to her house for cake with her host mom and family. it was entertaining. then we decided that we had no choice but to go out because it was a birthday so we went down to joe's oyster bar. there was only about 3 tables of people, us being one, bt it was a really good time. heather got out of hand and had about 50 tequila poppers which resulted in her puking over the edage of the malecon (the sidewalk along the beach). she had a good birthday to say the least. and while we were at joe's the security guard came up to us and was like hurry come and look at this. so we were all like awkward....but ok. and we followed him and there was a HUGE turtle or Tortuga in Spanish laying eggs in the sand. it was awesome. apparently that doesnt happen very often in mazatlan because of all the people and such and it was the first time carlos had ever seen it. we weren't allowed to take pictures of her laying the eggs because it scares them away and they can't finish, but after she left the police dug up the eggs to take them to the aquarium. i guess they hardly ever survive if they leave them on the beach because of everyone playing in the sand so they take the eggs to the aquarium to save them. i have some pictures of that and i'll post them today, they really aren't that exciting but it was super cool to see.
tuesday was really uneventful besides bongo practice and teaching english with heather again. the kids were out of control and i felt like an idiot because i don't know how to yell at them in spanish so heather was basically doing everything. once they calmed down though it was really fun and i think they actually learned something which felt pretty good...plus they're really cute.
wednesday night the usual group of us (me ilona carlos jason and heather) went to the 2 for 1 super cheap 2 dollar movie again. we saw the lake house. AWFUL!!! janine told me it was bad and i am so sorry i doubted you. it was funny though cause carlos was the ne who actually wanted to see it but he made me and ilona tell jason that we wanted to see it because he was embarrassed. anyways, people were literally flocking OUT of the theatre and it was so funny. morale of the story.....do not waste your money.
last night (thursday) was my bongo class' concert in the plaza. it was so fun. me and the two other exchange studnets who do it met at 630 and had a few beers to help our rythym out a bit (which helped quite a bit thank god) and then the three mexican students and the teacher came at 700. lots of exchange students came to cheer us on so it was funny. i will post some pics today so be sure to check it out. our teacher got a clarinet or flute or something player to come and play with us too and it was awesome. i was impressed with how good we were...not to brag or anything....but people were surrounding us and clapping. i think i have found my calling. i will be busking with a bongo in calgary when i get home so save your change. after the bongos me and carlos went out to this really weird restaurant called VIPS but its not called V I P's here they literally say vips which...i don't know...i thought it was funny. anyways, we had a lot of coffee and he helped me with my spanish which i am still lost about. by the end he basically took my book and did it for me. then we drove through the rain and went and visited ilona who was all alone because her host mom went to texas for a week. she was a little freaked out because of the weather. the thunder and lightning were unbelievable i have never seen anything like it.
i'm not sure what the plan is for the weekend. we WERE gonna go camp out on the same island that i took the catamaran too that day, but because of the weather its not gonna happen. i'm thinking we'll end up going bowling tonight. lots of exchange students are going to the gay bar here.....apparently mazatlan has the second highest gay population in mexico which i did not realize at all. so i might end up there, or bowling, or sleeping through the rain. we were gonna book a surf lesson for sunday too but the undertow might be too bad and it probably wouldn't be the safest idea. anyways, i will take a weekend of shitty weekend because its letting me miss my spanish classes today so its worth it.
sunday me and ilona ar gonna go and check out a house that two french girls are renting starting october and they want 2 roomates. i think i will probably move out of my host family after september, not because i don't like them because they are so cute but i could save some money on rent by moving out and it would be a whole different experience actually being on your own here. we'll see what heppens and see how nice the place is.
be sure to check out the pictures because i added a lot the other day and will add more right now.
i miss all of you and hope everything is going well. send me an email dammit.
sarah

Advertisement



3rd September 2006

Ole
hi sarah sounds like you are having way to much fun i was worried about the hurricane but sounds like you got through it okay tryed to call on your cell but no ring we are cleaning condo today and got it listed hope to hear from you be careful be safe love dad
5th September 2006

Go team
Sounds like all is going well Sarah! Met a girl in the line up at the roadhouse a few weeks ago who knew you and your roomie, cant remember her name ,,, I had had a few lol Scott knows though as I also told him the story. Pretty much same old here at WS chased a dishwasher last week as he walked out and I found him at the bus stop and he would talk to me, short kitchen staff so I am now a mgr and a chef, talk way too much to my cat Simba and Amber is as cranky as always. Ah the days of White Spots Lives - aint it grand. Keep having fun add some more pics to your gallery bet your tanned! Carly

Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0497s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb