Life fills our time here


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Sinaloa » Mazatlan
February 20th 2009
Published: February 21st 2009
Edit Blog Post

The Lighthouse HillThe Lighthouse HillThe Lighthouse Hill

Showing our visitor around after a 25 minute climb up
What do you do everyday?
We walk, read, work and play. We visit, dine out occasionally, play golf and even watch TV. The local cable has a few english channels and some programming on the local channels that are in English but with Spanish sub titles. It is a good way to add to our Spanish, although it is very fast. Carol's sister came for 3 weeks and we had fun showing her all that we have discovered. Friends that we met last year at the trailer park on Stone Island have arrived finally from the frozen North and we are enjoying socializing with them. Other friends who own a home in the El Cid complex arrived in January and we have visited and played golf with them. They have a large home and consequently have many visitors. It is something we are keeping in mind if we go forward with buying a home here.

Bill has joined a poker group and goes twice a week. The ante is 100 pesos so he is not risking our life savings and enjoys the male comraderie. Most of the guys in the group have been coming here for years and have lots
Cerritos Point Cerritos Point Cerritos Point

Lindy and Bill viewing the beach at the north end of the road- windy and good surfing.
of good advice for us rookies. We play golf at the local course once a week. It is a nine hole layout and is pretty good. The price is at least half of the resort courses and the ambiance is very intriguing. The 10th hole snack shack has a beer and burger deal for under $5.00

We have been out looking at houses with our lovely real estate agent, Wendy who is bi-lingual. She is a Canadian gal who married a Mexican man 25 years ago and though they are no longer together, she would not move back. She has a nice life and her children are in university here now, so Canada is officially her second home. We are having fun looking at the real estate you can buy here compared to Vancouver prices. I don't think we could even buy a small studio apartment in Vancouver for what we will get a 2-3 bedroom house with 2.5 bathrooms for here.

A new find!! Just a 30 minute walk from our casita in one of our favourite areas of town, Olas Altas- a new coffee bar - where they make a super latte and have excellent fresh
CopalaCopalaCopala

We took Lindy to the old mining town a couple of hours away.
baked goods. The morning routine may just have to change occasionally now. We spoke to the owner there today and told him that we owned a coffee bar for 10 years and he started telling us about his challenges - it sounded very familiar. STAFFING, STAFFING, STAFFING. He has a great concept where he offers young people room and board in his family's home and they can work it off in the coffee bar. He goes through lots of people but they get an opportunity to experience life in a mexican city and he gets help in his business. It seems like every time we go out we meet people doing interesting and unique things.

The work at the animal shelter is still very rewarding. A fund raiser Sunday Brunch was held and raised a good chunk of money. We brought a tiny baby kitten home that needed to be fed by bottle every 4 hours and she died after two days - disappointing most often they do not survive. The Shelter and the Boy/Girl Scouts got together and walked along the Malecon with about 50 dogs to bring awareness and promote looking after the animals in Mazatlan.
House Hunting House Hunting House Hunting

Yes we like this, but...

The next week is Carnaval - a fiesta with parades and fireworks and music that rivals Mardi Gras in New Orleans. Our next blog will report on that and some of the other entertainment opportunities here.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Walk for Awareness Walk for Awareness
Walk for Awareness

Scouts, dogs and owners finding a common ground.


Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0407s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb