The things we will do to get a good view


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Sinaloa » Mazatlan
October 5th 2018
Published: October 6th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Mazatlan


The plan this morning was to be up by 7am and out by 7.30am. Unfortunately I woke with a splitting headache which delayed us slightly. I think I am finding the heat and humidity a bit much! We leave at 9am and already it is hot, though not quite as bad as yesterday afternoon.

We take an Uber to Le Faro, a lighthouse on a rocky outcrop at the end of the bay. Our car takes us as far as he can go and from there it is walking only, up to the top. The path takes us beside a sewage plant which stinks - not a good start!

We follow a gravel track which twists and winds it’s way (hopefully) up to the top. We meet a lot of people coming down but no-one going up...we are the only idiots to be attempting this after 9am it would appear. We have plodding our way up for some time when we meet a jovial Mexican who announces that today it is closed...only joking he adds! Well he would be jovial wouldn’t he...he is coming down!

Finally, the track peters out to be replaced with a stone staircase - also winding its way back and forth up the hillside. Surely we must be almost there? We think we can see the top but it turns out to be a mirage as there is still no sign of the summit after each hopeful twist and turn.

Now we meet another happy guy, this time American. You are almost there, he states. I suppose it depends on your definition of almost.

Finally, we have arrived at the top...almost too shattered to enjoy it. We collapse on a bench, both drenched in sweat. Is this really our idea of having a good time? Ian is looking terribly British in his shorts, socks and sandals.

Eventually we summon up the energy to have a better look round. If we were expecting a lighthouse in the British sense of the word, then we are to be disappointed. The lighthouse is a square concrete block with a light on the top. The views are pretty spectacular. We can see the whole bay, the causeway, the harbour and the Isla de la Piedra - which looks like an island but is not really an island at all since it is joined to the mainland.

The summit also boasts a glass platform which juts out towards the sea. For the grand total of 5 pesos each we may walk to the end of it. We are issued with shoe covers to make sure we do not scratch the glass. We walk out to the end where the glass appears to be creaking and moving - it isn’t long before we decide to call it a day!

Now it’s time to descend and our turn to feel smug as we pass a few more people making their way to the top. Needless to say, the return journey is done in an nth of the time and we find ourselves back at the road where we call another Uber. An art walk had been on the cards but seriously we are both drenched - so it’s back to our apartment for a shower and a blast of air con...it’s almost lunchtime anyway!

It’s been a very long siesta again today. It might not be very adventurous of us, but we did come here to enjoy ourselves and we also have to survive another 10 weeks! We will definitely be getting up much earlier tomorrow!

So it is now almost 5pm. Time for a trip to the supermarket to buy the ingredients for tonight’s dinner. Although we have a kitchen with crockery, eating utensils, two frying pans and a saucepan, we don’t have anything that looks like it might survive in the oven! Yesterday we used the microwave but it looks like cooking two baked potatoes was too much for it as it has now blown up. The cooker is an old fashioned gas one with no means of adjusting temperature, so it is either on or off! We decide to take our chances with baked potatoes in the oven, and a savoury mince cooked on the top. Ian takes his life into his hands and lights the oven, he pops the spuds inside whilst we head off for the beach.

It’s well known that I am a water baby so I cannot leave this place without having at least one dip in the Pacific! To be honest though, I am slightly dubious as the waves are large and crashing...it looks like there might be a serious undertow. I haven’t seen loads of swimmers, but there are a few. I venture in with dire warnings from Ian not to stray too far out. The sun is just setting so no fear of sunburn and the water is deliciously warm. The waves are fun but, as suspected, strong. I enjoy riding the waves, but I am glad I put my dive mask on as a few of them do catch me unawares. We are almost at high tide and it’s about to turn, so reluctantly I call it a day at twenty minutes. Probably a good thing, as getting out proves to be a bit of a challenge. A quick dry down and back to the flat to check on the potatoes.

It would appear that the one temperature oven is set to hot as the potatoes are just about cooked when we return. Ian whips up the mince whilst I am in the shower. It seems I have bought back quite a bit of the beach as small stones and shells shower out of my swimming costume! I also have a few small cuts and grazes from my clamber out of the water.

All freshened up, we sit down for our meal. It is very tasty. My turn to do the washing up though. :-)


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.334s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 48; dbt: 0.073s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb