Mexicos Tulum


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Quintana Roo » Tulum
September 29th 2010
Published: October 7th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We got boat to Mexico, and then endured a terrible 3 hour bus to Tulum, crying kids, no ac, just saturated in sweat!!

Tulum is an amazing beach, where the sand never gets hot and the water is crystal clear. But the beach cabanas are very basic, no ac, cold showers, sand floors or concrete, mosquito nets with holes… none of it is too terrible but after two months on the road and already plenty of cold showers we were not keen.
Oh and the local mosquitoes were on steroids!! Worse than the Amazon jungle!

One interesting moment was when we struck up a conversation with a middle aged american lady. As the conversation went on, she said how she had lived in Belize City for last 7 years and was returning to the states. She continued that she had left her husband down there as he had developed an extensive drug addiction and was now at the mercy of local gangsters. She then mentioned how they owned a guesthouse in the city and how it was Lonely PLanets top rated hostel in the city but over the last two years her husband had pretty much given up ownership to pay for his addiction. We didnt say anything and just asked questions, never mentioning that we stayed with her husband at the old guesthouse for one intersting night in Belize City. It was an amazing coincidence and a very interesting story to hear.

We still had a few days there, plenty of coronas on the beach, walked around the amazing Mayan ruins of Tulum, built rite on the cliffs edge overlooking the Caribbean; they definitely picked the prime spots to build!
We then had a quick air conditioned bus ride up to Playa del Carmen!!



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

one of many storm fronts heading our wayone of many storm fronts heading our way
one of many storm fronts heading our way

every hour there was another one, lasted 15min and the sun came back out


Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0376s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb