"Live" from Playa del Carmen


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Quintana Roo » Playa del Carmen
January 25th 2015
Published: January 25th 2015
Edit Blog Post

"Blue skies, smilin' at me, nothing but blue skies do I see..." (Ella Fitzgerald)

For those of you wondering, we arrived safe & sound in Playa today after taking a 5:45 am flight & arriving nice & early at 9:33 this morning. Walking out of the airport to beautiful weather; 25C & that's without the humma-ditty. (I can hear you all grumbling right now at the mere mention of warm sunny weather). It was gusting snow & bitter when we left the house at 3:30 am. It's hard to believe you leave -20 degree weather and a little over 4 hours later the warm sun envelops you in its glorious arms.

It's wonderful to be back to our old stomping grounds, being met by our wonderful driver Jaime. It is also wonderful to have mom join us which was a last minute surprise so to speak. Cindy offered to go work from up at mom & dad's & keep dad company, and because of this very generous offer, mom was able to join us. Last year she said to me, "well I squeaked out one more trip". And I said to her, "Don't say that, there are more tropical trips in your future". (Aha, I am a fortune teller...! OK no I'm not, it's all because of Cindy's magic!!!)

Up until early January we had not booked this trip as I had a serious and unexpected eye issue that landed me in the Eye Institute the day after Halloween night. Out of the blue, and without any underlying symptoms or warning, the retina in my right eye detached. (Picture your eye as the camera, and your retina as the film. And picture wallpaper peeling then falling off the wall and it has to be adhered it back to the wall. That was what they did with my retina). You are welcome for the biology lesson!

It was a very scary, painful and "eye opening" (pun intended) experience. I was lucky to have been treated so efficiently and quickly at the EI, and to have such a wonderful support network around me. I saw many elderly patients leaving the Eye Institute all alone, after having gone through eye surgery or treatment. Al was kind to help one little lady down the elevator to meet her taxi. After being declared legally blind in my right eye, I'm back to 20/25, and from where I'm sitting (on my balcony) if it's possible the ocean looks even more beautiful to me because I now know in some measure what it's like to be without sight. (Let's just say my retina specialist got a helluva Christmas gift basket after all he did for me!) The Eye Institute considers me a "rarity" and are completely baffled how this happened. Even those that partake in extreme sports and experience serious head injuries rarely have this occur. (For those of you that wish to comment on the "head injury" part, please go stuff it!)

Just so you know, even on vacation life is not without it's challenges. We were lined up waiting for our bags after coming off our flight, and mom's took a while to come after our bags had arrived. So we finally get it, and with all our bags off we go (or so we thought). It wasn't till we entered our condo that Al noticed one bag was missing. OMG. So what was to be a margarita on the beach has now sent Al by cab 45 minutes (one way) back to the Cancun airport to claim the &^%$#@! bag (We couldn't get ahold of our driver Jaime right away so Al just took off). Isn't life grand? The silver lining is we arrived early so he'll be back for a few hours of sun.

And in the meantime, I thought it was the best idea to go to Walmart to stock up the condo...on a Sunday...the busiest day of the week. Packed to the hilt with me looking like I felt - which was tired, hungry, upset for Al, and then hauling groceries by myself. As I was unloading my groceries at the cash, some guy in front of me almost took my eye out with a mop he was buying. AH. After all I've been through with my eye seriously??

But hey it's all good, we're in paradise. And thank you Tonya for once again a beautiful condo - I work for the best company in the world - Playa Beach Getaways!

Signing off from "paradise", (and Al just walked in to cheers!)

Sal and her "little band of merrymakers"

(The pics are of our condo)


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



25th January 2015

Leave a few drinks in Playa for us :-) A month from now I will be enjoying the sun and beach in Playa. Soooo looking forward to it. Hope you all have fun!!
25th January 2015

Live From Playa
Blaine told me you were coming here. You will LOVE it. Such an interactive & fun place. Get in touch with me and I'll send you some top tips/info Shawn :)
26th January 2015

Hellooooo
So good to see your blog again - It is always a pleasure reading about your trips! Miss you!!
26th January 2015

Hellooooo
So good to see your blog again - It is always a pleasure reading about your trips! Miss you!!

Tot: 0.573s; Tpl: 0.026s; cc: 6; qc: 111; dbt: 0.3823s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb