All Is Well & the Sun Is Out


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Quintana Roo » Playa del Carmen
January 22nd 2014
Published: January 22nd 2014
Edit Blog Post

It's no coincidence that four of the six letters in health is "heal."

Good morning from Playa! It's hard to believe how cold it is back home & how nice and warm it is in Playa. We have had one day after another of amazing weather with the exception of a few cool days last week. No rain at all, and the wind has been very slight which makes for a wonderful vacation for those that want to do water activities. Or sit around and drink margaritas 😊

Al had another amazing dive and saw a crab that was HUGE, like 50 pounds huge. And eels, lobster, lion fish and lots of barracudas. He had his underwater video camera and I'm hoping we can download his video so for those of you that don't dive, can see what an amazing magical & marvelous experience it is. (PS thankfully I checked this blog over as I had written, "AL had his underwear video camera"...and most of you would be wondering, "what the hell is an underwear video camera"...Oh it's good to have a laugh now.

Otherwise, we have been quietly enjoying our last few days here. Walks, lunch, reading, and quite often staring at the ocean with thoughts of Dad & Cindy. Cindy has been tending the homestead, keeping the fires going, caring for the critters and especially the big critter known as DAD! She's been taking him books, and clothes and personal items and by doing all of that, it has kept us very reassured he's doing well. We owe her a big debt of gratitude and to all those that are checking in on him and keeping him company.

We actually spoke to dad in intensive care this morning, and he sounds quite chipper. He's getting quite the nice meals and his appetite is dandy. I teased him that he was in the Shawville Motel with all the bedside service, good meals and company dropping in to see him. Every day he's feeling better, and if all goes as planned he will be released in a day or two, and good timing with Mom back home to be with him.

I'm sure a few of you can relate to this, but it's funny how you think your parents are invincible, and appear to be like super heroes to you. While to strangers they look like "normal" people, but to us children, even adult children, I think we look at our parents & see the "S" for Superman/woman and picture them wearing a Superman cape.

Perhaps it's because parenting takes so many skills that creates that illusion to kids. Bravery, courage, love, generosity, resourcefulness, patience, a sense of humor AND the deep down knowledge that you know your parents would throw themselves in front of a bus for you. Well that's what they tell you, but it's an unproven theory most of the time (thank god). And the fact no matter how ugly their child is (not talking about me!) your parents will love you...no matter what. It's part of the contract.

I still feel that way about my parents - that they are invincible. Well I felt the "invincible" part up to two days ago & also a few years back when Mom suffered a mini stroke. But she came roaring back like the champion she is. And she's back sitting with me on the balcony, sharing laughs and stories in Playa del Carmen. What could beat that? I feel like I won the lottery for having this opportunity to do this with her, and hopefully again in the near future Mom, with dad back chopping his wood ON OCCASION and not over-doing it. But it's just part of his DNA to be moving all the time.

But when your parents fall ill, it can truly catch you by surprise & knock you for a loop. You just never want to see your parents helpless, and I know many of you have and are going through that feeling now, and it's a crappy feeling to have.

We are lucky Dad is doing so well, but for now, his Superman cape is folded up next to his bed. I hope to see him wearing it again soon, and life as we know it is restored and he can enjoy life to the fullest again, side by side with Mom, the united duo, the twosome that have survived thick and thin (lots of thin as in hard times). The two who finish each other's sentences, the two that take drives to see the deer or the wild turkeys, the two that ask each other "did the kids call today?"...The two who take apart the newspaper and hand it back & forth without even looking. The two that have comforted each other through the loss of parents, brothers, sisters, and the sudden loss of a son. The two that have spent decade after decade, after decade, after decade, after decade, after decade together. The two who fill our lives with joy, and the two who still make us adult children still feel like kids even though we are way past being kids (well we're still immature but we are way past being kids 😊

To all of you that still bask in being a child, it is a feeling to be savored.

Thanks for the private emails offering support and kind words for Dad. I'll be sure to pass them along to the "rock star" who is getting so much attention & care!!

So a shout out to dad...sing along will ya?

It's a long way to Tipperary,
It's a long way to go,
It's a long way to Tipperary,
To the sweetest girl I know!
Goodbye Piccadilly! Farewell Leicester Square!
It's a long, long way to Tipperary,
But my heart's right there!

Paddy wrote a letter to his Irish Molly O',
Saying "Should you not receive it, write and let me know!
If I make mistakes in spelling, Molly dear", said he,
"Remember it's the pen that's bad, don't lay the blame on me"

It's a long way to Tipperary,

It's a long way to go,
It's a long way to Tipperary,
To the sweetest girl I know!
Goodbye Piccadilly! Farewell Leicester Square!
It's a long, long way to Tipperary,
But my heart's right there!


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0483s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb