Goodbye England, Hola Mexico!


Advertisement
Published: April 10th 2012
Edit Blog Post

The adventures have begun, we flew out of Gatwick at 9am on Monday April 2nd and arrived at our Hostel in Cancun 19 hours later. We went staright to the shop and grabbed some Coronas and chilled out with fellow travellers, nothing much happened, we were all too tired to function having had no sleep for 26 hours.



On Tuesday we went straight to the beach which was about 20 minutes on the bus. Like true English people we were fooled by the clouds and all successfully managed to burn ourselves on various parts of our bodies. I heard that it´s a great look to have at the strart of your holiday. We then boarded the bus back realising we couldn´t really remeber where we got on as it all looked the same and ended up staying on to the end of the route. This is where we realised our distinct lack of Spanish was a bit of a problem. We jumped in a taxi driver who also didn´t know where we wanted to go. He should probably start looking for a new job! We managed to communicate that we wanted to get near the bus station so we went there which was about 2 minutes from the hostel and we returned back safe and sound. We didn´t do much Tuesday night as we decided we would go on a day trip to Chichen Itza Wednesday and needed to be up at 7am.



Wednesday morning came around and we boarded a bus to Chichen Itza, some Mayan temples/pyramids. We went on a tour when we arrived and learnt about how they did their thing including a game of Mayan football where the winning captain gets beheaded. Not the greatest prize I have ever come across! We then went off to a cenote, an underground fresh water pool where we threw ourselves off a platform into the water before returning to Chichen Itza for a light and sound show. It then decided to thunder and lightening and rain and we got royally pissed on before boarding the bus home. This is where we learnt the American guy in front of us was a hip hop rapper and his manager who was with him managed to drop into conversation that he had been nominated for 14 grammies. They both live in LA so we got her email and are going to tap her up to help sort us some tickets for an NBA game as she works with some of those guys as well!!!



Thursday was a day of bugger all, we sat on our fat arses in hammocks listening to music and protecting our sun burn and readying ourselves for a night out in Cancun. We hit the hotel zone about 11pm and went to a club called Daddio´s where our hostel guy had organised us a table where we were waited on and loaded with bottles of Vodka. We got talking to some Mexican girls who asked us to dance with them which we did, but told them they needed to wait until we had drank more booze to save ourselves the embarrassment of English dancing. Not sure we managed to do that though! We got home about 6am, was not looking forward to the bus journey the next day.



We jumped on a bus to Chiquilla about 12.30pm friday where we caught a ferry to an island in the golf of Mexico called Holbox. The journey started fine, however after about 2 hours I was starting to feel the effects of the night before. By the time we got on the ferry I was like a walking zombie and felt rough as a cats ass however what greeted me on the other side perked me up some what. The island was awesome, very chilled out, roads made out of sand and being easter it was pretty much just a big party. We went to the beach on Saturday and managed to burn another part of our body, we are getting bloody good at this burning business. I have managed to get myself the complete shoulder set, front and back now. But don´t worry it is turning to tan. Will managed to burn his ankles which then inflated and Oli his ears which have sinced started to peel off! We garbbed some beers and met some French people at the hostel and went to a party on the beach despite saying we were not going to go out the night before we travelled again. That was a massive fail. There was a band playing and we danced the night away with them until 4am, just about beat a Saturday night out in Devizes. Fortunatley we woke up feeling fine and grabbed the bus back to Cancun for 3 hours before getting on one to Playa Del Carmen where we are now.



Playa is quite westernised but the best place we have been so far. The beach is unreal and it has some good shops and bars. We managed to walk into one which had a baby Tiger which then proceeded to run straight at me and jump at me. To say I shit myself would be a slight understatement however it was nothing to be worried about. I got stroked by a tramp whilst eating in Cancun, that was much more harrowing and he stank of piss.



It´s Tuesday now, i think, am loosing tack of days, and I am writing this with a slightly sore head. We went to a club/bar on the beach last night called the blue parrot which was awesome. No hot french girls but nonetheless was still pretty good! Probably going to go to the beach later, get burnt again maybe and recover. We have bought some factor 45 suncream after the hostel owner in Holbox told us 30 was not enough. Let´s see if it works!



Adios

Alex

Advertisement



Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0408s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb