Day 1: Disaster!


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Quintana Roo » Playa del Carmen
September 8th 2009
Published: September 30th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Opps, apparently you need to actually pay for your flight for them to book it....

We show up bright and early to catch our plane and somehow my VISA was never charged and therefore my reservation did not go through. There were still spots on the plane but for 6x the cost. We had a lovely hour before the plan left frantically calling the flight company to fix this little problem, and eventually they let us buy our tickets at the original price.

This is where our motto and the theme of our trip arose of "It always works out in the end" which really helped (me in particular as Dana has been practicing this idea for years) deal with future panic-inducing and disappointing situations we would later encounter.

When we arrive in Mexico we are greeted with a blast of hot humid air that I'm sure everyone reading this has experienced and I have grown to hate! There was just no escape from it!

We took a bus in from the airport to downtown Cancun (which is not a place I'd recommend) and carried our backpacks to a cheap hostel while thinking about how I'm going to have to carry this heavy backpack for 13 more months.

The next day we left immediately for Playa del Carmen where we met our now good friends Bob and Miriam from Holland. They were just finishing their world trip of 12 months and were full of good advice for us. We spent the next few weeks with them in Southern Mexico and Belize.
We spent one night here on the beach then headed to Tulum.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0235s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1007.4kb