Rock on


Advertisement
Published: October 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


My ace lunch..My ace lunch..My ace lunch..

Main course still to come..
There are quite a lot of overweight Mexicans. no surprise really when thereare tasty deep fried snacks on every corner. Gorditas are a particular fave in the area. Literally meaning little fatties, they are maize pattie type things filled with your choice of cheese, potato, cactus leaf, beef, chicken and of course, chilli. On the road, you really appreciate a good, wholesome and cheap dinner and Queretaro really came up trumps. Mi Kza, just around the corner of the Red Giraffe hostel was 35 peso well spent (1.50) for a soup, a main meal with salad and veg, a pudding and a 2 litre jug of home made juice!

It´s a quaint little city and famous for being the starting point for the revolution. They are proud of their heritage, even the rather risque story of murder and adultery of a wealthy mining couple. It´s safe to stroll the streets at night and wander into the manicured tree lined plazas or take a peek into gilded baroque churches. The convent here is particularly famous for it´s unique tree with crucifix shaped thorns. The stry goes that a missionary left his walking stick here and from it grew a bush with
A typical cantinaA typical cantinaA typical cantina

Once the domain of only males, they have kindly let us ladies drink them under the table
thorns in the shape of a cross. Quite amaxing really since others of the species grow with simple, straight thorns. Purveyors of religious tat make a fortune flogging these with golden Jesuses on...I couldn´t resist one set in a keyring!

Nearby is the pretty little village of Bernal, famous for having the third biggest rock monolith in the world after Rio´s Sugarloaf and the Rock of Gibraltar. Extremely quaint and a hotspot toursit destination at the weekend, a lot of the businesses are closed in the week. But there were still a few stores selling lucky sheep souvenirs made from Bernal wool and tequila shot glasses with pictures of the rock on. The walk up was hot and steep climb among lovely flowering shrubs. I was lucky to miss the bus full of Mexican tourists who had been delayed by the water fountain display...my walk was made all the less tranquil by the piped sounds of ´New York, New York´. Apparently there´s some sort of mystical energy about the rock and people flock here for the spring equinox, it certainly had a nice vibe about the place and you all know I´m a fan of rocks!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

A lovely choice of colours..A lovely choice of colours..
A lovely choice of colours..

Has Laurence Llewellyn Bowen been here?
Holy guacamole!Holy guacamole!
Holy guacamole!

It´s the crucifix thorns
La peña de BernalLa peña de Bernal
La peña de Bernal

You can climb up to about a third of the way
Check out his tache!Check out his tache!
Check out his tache!

Brit Jonny decides his blonde beard needs Mexicaning up!


Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0569s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb