Tlaxcala Bound


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Puebla » Puebla City
July 5th 2013
Published: December 17th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Today started at an early 6 am. We had to pack a weekend bag (one per room aka 2 people) and we had to get the rest of our stuff out of the rooms so that while we were gone other clients could use the rooms. My roommate and I agreed to take the biggest of our 'smallest' suitcases so that we could maximize what we could take while abiding by the rules. Surprisingly enough we managed to cram two girls' worth of stuff for 4 and a half days. Go us!

The spiral stairs that add even more charm to the gorgeous hotel turn into the stairs from hell when trying to drag down giant, heavy pieces of luggage.

Once the bags were packed onto the mini bus and the extras were locked up in the hotel we ate a little bit of breakfast and crammed into the bus and began our trip to Tlaxcala!

The hotel in Tlaxcala was right in the center, and it was stunning! The ceiling had a breathtaking colorful mosaic strip in it, and the front lobby had a mini waterfall. An open area filled with tables and chairs served as the restaurant, and a couple of arches lead to the pool and the rooms; rooms which had double french doors that led right onto the pool deck!

One of our first stops after getting our rooms was to a man's home to watch how he made pottery! He had a mini factory of sorts in which himself and a few male family members make the clay pots, let them dry, paint them, and repeat! The pottery bowls that they made was absolutely exquisite! And it was amazing getting to see how they make all of the different pottery. The mole bowls (for obvious reasons) were my favorite, however, unfortunately they were insanely big and weighed about the same as a middle-school aged child. But hey! There's always next year.. or I will just have to move down to Mexico. Clearly I'm going with the latter. At the end of the tour the man brought out some of his artisan work that we were able to buy. It was like Black Friday at Walmart, just without any stabbings! I'm pretty sure we bought up his whole store. Each one of us definitely stocked up!

Our next stop was to another artisan who's specialty was making comales (singular: comal). Besides the mole pot, this was by far my favorite artisan piece! A comal is used in cooking tortillas -a staple in what I think should be everyone's house. This little old lady had been making these comales by herself for over 30 years; she was the sweetest little thing! She showed us around her home and outside where the comales bake. Once again, It was like a Black Friday sale, and a bunch of us bought one! *Fast-forward to the extremely devastating moment when I opened my carry-on once I got home and the comal had shattered everywhere*

After an extremely hard day of taking notes, roaming the streets, and buying artisan work at an insanely low price, it was time to have lunch! Lunch was delicious as-per-usual, and after it was time to get back to the hotel! Later that evening we were supposed to go to the main square and watch Danzon, but it started to rain heavily so Danzon was cancelled and my roommates (all 3 of them) and I opted for a nice night in, accompanied by 4 other lovelies, to work on our journals while a telenovela played in the background!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0692s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb