Hoy Dia


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Oaxaca » Oaxaca
October 29th 2006
Published: October 29th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Thursday night: quiet with a light rain, all of the dogs and firecracker-lighters forced undercover. Thunder and lightening, an eerie foreboding of the impending clash of opposing forces. Friday: in the zocalo, where else. Disconcertingly vacant of vendors, even at noon. Also APPO seemingly down in numbers. We found people out moving the barracades, from just around the zocalo, to as many as 5-6 blocks away. New barricades, sometimes just a huge bus parked sideways, blocking all but pedestrian passage, in other places. Oaxaca de Juarez grinding to a halt. Still a bit of the usual goal-less wandering; a new neighborhood, a new church. Back to the zocalo around 5 o'clock, with another breaking storm, which we sat out with others, under the APPO tarps. Exhausted, we went to get a bus. None. The streets virtually empty. We began the walk back encountering hundreds on foot, who also depend on public transportation. Half way back, more blocades in big intersections. Confusion in the streets: normally one way, now two way with cars having to do a u-turn to get out. Warnings to stay off the streets after dark. Listening to the news on the radio, you can hear the urgency. We learned that Brad Will, a American journalist with Indymedia was shot in the chest and died before he got to the hospital, around mid-day. His killer caught on film by his camera man. Three other teachers also killed, two men and a woman. Saturday: word to stay clear of downtown, military trucks moving in. The airport closed. Maximum alert in the city. Call for all to reinforce the zocalo barricades. Medics standing by. Instructions on the radio on what to do if tear gas is used. People calling in from various points around the city, with reports of whats happening. Its heart breaking. Tonite may be the night.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

StoplightStoplight
Stoplight

A burned car and stoplight, outside the zocalo
A Zapotec ManA Zapotec Man
A Zapotec Man

With our neighbors. He had walked three days to come to the city to sell the rugs on his back. Wide-eyed with disbelief when he heard of the current events.


29th October 2006

Can't help but worry
Hank, Tim, Heard the news on NPR today - Oaxaca was (as of this morning) third story. Glad to presume you're both okay after word of the three deaths including the American journalist. Will it make a difference if I ask you not to do anything crazy? Thinking of you both and all the Oaxans.
30th October 2006

a quick note on mon. morning
hey you two: heard the news and am a little anxious, although it sounds from your blog that you are okay. scary stuff, but i hope the use of military force does not dissuade the oaxacan people from continuing their protest. take care!

Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0588s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb