If every Mexican waved at once would their tsunami drown the USA?


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Oaxaca » Oaxaca
May 1st 2006
Published: May 13th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Tomorrow all Mexicans are boycotting all American goods and all Mexicans in USA are going on strike in an effort to save their immigration rights into US. The question is what effect will it have on Washington.

But in Oaxaca we are not really feeling the effects, maybe someone will brick the local Burger King, we live in hope.

The town is very chilled. The weather less so. Each day the humidity just keeps rising and come about 5 in the afternoon you are begging for the clouds to burst so that you can go out for a shower, unlike Mexico D.F most days they remain looming overhead save their gentle watery caress for higher ground. At a mere 1.5km above sea level we are relatively low here.

Each day we spend 4 hours back at school learning to talk, an experience I am enjoying more than Isla, but we are both making great progress. Learning a language is a wonderfuly satisfying thing, everyday is filled with fresh challenges as you learn a new verb and then the final victory is made when you use it in conversation. Having said this someone just stopped me randomly in the middle of that sentence to ask me about where I was travelling, how long, etc (I mean can't they see I'm busy) and I just had the most stunted spanish conversation of my life. So yes the flip side to that coin is that whatever you learn you are still comletely inferior to a native and everytime you forget a word is like another defeat.

One week of lessons is not enough. We are staying for a second and I am keen for more, but we shall have to see and the money may run out.

After lessons we tend to eat in little local cocina economicas which give you a great meal for a pound or two with local cuisine. We've tried Chapolines (grasshoppers - very salty and crunchy) and mezcal (local beverage made from a cactus) but not yet had fried cactus. Oaxaca is ripe with little art galleries and other intriguing attractions that seem to be multiplying overnight, everynight. So there is always something to occupy us each with our own tastes. There are two really tranquil libraries one full to the roof with wonderful art books and each have calm courtyards in which to read in peace. Pablo if you haven't found these already you would love them! While isla explores other random courtyards.

Like in Desperate house wives you never know what goes on behind closed doors here you never know what incredible courtyard with exotic plants are lurking behind the sometimes shabby facades on the street. Isla has a talent for sneeking in camera in hand and capturing some sweet photos.

ciao

I&E


Advertisement



Tot: 0.211s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0419s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb