Five years later at the same taco stand


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Oaxaca » Oaxaca
January 18th 2009
Published: January 18th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Five years ago David and I flew into Oaxaca, from Puerto Escondito in a small plane that had all instrument panels broken. The pilot flew over the mountains, skimming over the tree tops until he dipped into the valley where Oaxaca is located. I am not sure which is worse, coming in by bus through continuous windy mountainous roads for 6 hours or flying in by plane. When we arrived, those many years ago, we caught a taxi with another couple who were staying at a bed and breakfast. Once we settled in at Nora's home, we went for a walk to Juarez Park where there was a Friday market. In one section there were 20 people running a barbaque and taco stand. People stood in lines waiting to order. Mexican dance music was bellowing out from speakers, men with cowboy hats and white shirts and blue jeans were chopping meat, heating tortillias while entertaining the waiting crowd. We had had a typical Mexican breakfast, cooked by Nora's mother, and we weren't sure whether our stomaches could handle the street food. And it smelled so good. The hotel we are currently staying at is across the street from Nora's bed and breakfast and she is a cousin to Thersa, the owner of this hotel. This Friday, we returned to the Friday market, at Juarez Park and the same taco stand was there, with the same line up, the same music with the men in white shirts and cowboy hats and we joined the line to eat those delicious, juicey, spicey tacos. And then we wandered around to our favourite juice stand and had them whip up juice made of alfalfa, orange, beet and pineapple juice. The whole cost of our meal was $5. The other night on our way home, David wanted a little snack so he bought two chicken and mole tamales from a lady who is in the same spot night after night. The cost of that delicious meal was $1.20. After I finish this blog, we are going over to the park to get some tacos, made fresh right in front of you and a taco that is crisped up on the grill, then has an brown frijoles, refried beans, smeared on it, fresh cheese sprinkled on top with salsa and lime juice squeezed over the whole concoction. Very yummy and probably about $3 in total.

Tomorrow, we are off by local bus to a small village, east of here, that hosts the biggest Indian Sunday market in the state of Oaxaca. And of course we will be sampling food and wandering around the local church, which has statues of saints portraying their deaths by decapitation and arrow punctures. It is suppose to be quite grotesque and very inspirational, accompanied by the sonerous tones of the most beautifully restored pipe organs in southern Oaxaca State.

Last night we attended a parade honoring the virgin of soidad. Bands from the church community would play music while the church members in numerous costumes which included 15 foot high stilt walkers who danced around the float, at time running into the overhead wires. they were never electricuted. The parade was about a 20 minute from our hotel. As we walked home, around 10 p.m. at numerous intersections, we kept running into one of the playing band with the float that had the little freezing virgin on it. We finally gave up and marched home with them, almost missing our hotel. It was a good day.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.204s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0477s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb