Oaxaca, Mexico


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Oaxaca » Oaxaca
November 4th 2008
Published: November 18th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Bench in OaxacaBench in OaxacaBench in Oaxaca

These cast iron benches are all over in Mexico but have seals specific to the city
4/11/08 - Arrived on the overnight bus from Mex City with a cricked neck at around 6am. This first class bus that cost 18 quid for around 8 hours of travel. Very comfortable with fully reclining seats, except there was an annoying courting couple behind me ( UK Guy: "This may sound a bit sad - but I like to work out at they gym", US Girl: "I know a cheaper way of working out") who didn't get the hint of why all the lights in the bus were out. Tried to order a coffee from a stand twice but didn't understand why the lady kept telling me to sit down and then never brought me a coffee. Turns out she was the cleaner and the stand wasn't open yet. After trying not to wake the sleeping Aussies and German at "La Mercad Hostel" when putting my stuff away, I went for a breakfast of eggs on tortilla with a side of refried beans. Seems that breakfast in Mexico differs only to lunch and dinner in that it includes eggs.

Walked around, had some coffee, went to the Santo Domingo monastery/museum and nodded off on a bench. Went back to the hostel for a power nap. Oaxaca is a really pretty colonial city, where teachers/students rioted around this time 2 years ago and the city's tourism industry has yet to fully recover. McDonalds tried to set up shop in the main square but backed down following a local campaign to block it. The city is blocked in by hills so hasn't been able to expand much in size and businesses are forced to fit in to the exisiting colonial buildings which help to keep its charm. Pictures don't do it justice, but the guide books just say that it is a good place to chill out in. The main square ("Zocalo") has a bandstand where a brass band got up to play at 7pm to anyone hanging around. Even around 11pm there are still loads of people and kids hanging around and chatting, with people walking around selling food or necklaces. Like in Mex City, I didn't get hounded to buy stuff as, especially here, it is would not be in keeping with Oaxaca city. Went out with Aussies and a Scot to a Mexican bar, where the rounds got cheaper the longer we stayed there. Empty streets when we got out and took a guitar up to the roof of the hostel where we recited tasteless jokes and listened to punk songs that the Aussies used to play together in a band. Great night.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



18th November 2008

Hi mate
Enjoying the blog mate... brings a smile to my face whenever I think of traveling and reading this puts me back there!!! Keep it up!
21st November 2008

good work
All good stuff this mate, especially impressed at how you're keeping it clean too! Keep it coming...

Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0728s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb