Pátzcuaro


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Michoacán » Pátzcuaro
January 4th 2009
Published: January 8th 2009
Edit Blog Post

On January 2nd Elba´s family took us on a day trip to Pátzcuaro, a small town near Morelia (a 45min drive). It has three plazas that were packed with people, and like many small towns around here, specializes in certain types of crafts. We had ice cream, ate various miscellaneous things, and looked at some beautiful jewelery and gold-plated... plates.

In the first plaza, we saw a traditional dance by sandal-wearing young men on stamping on boards, accompanied by stand-up bass, violin and guitar. The men are wearing old-men masks and wigs, and are bent double, carrying canes. This dance was originally performed by indigenous people in the area, when the spanish first showed up. The dancers were making fun of how the spaniards´hair turns grey earlier than that of the pre-mexicans'. It is quite funny! Little dolls of these dancers are available for sale in all of the towns that we have been to so far.

Pátzcuaro also has a nifty little art gallery. There were statues made of clay, indigenous masks from all over Mexico (some quite frightening and creepy; Blair liked these ones in particular), and amazing pictures of people and churches and animals done entirely with feathers.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

LauraLaura
Laura

Still with long hair!


Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 73; dbt: 0.0682s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb