Mmmm...Morelia


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Michoacán » Morelia
October 17th 2008
Published: November 18th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Lunch at Govinda'sLunch at Govinda'sLunch at Govinda's

Get in my belly!
The quality of food has great bearing on the impression I have for a place and after eating a lot of crap for the past few days it was a welcome relief to find Govinda's vegetarian restaurant here and enjoyed a huge tray of healthy food without pig fat or a tortilla in sight. Morelia is also famous for it's sweets and have a huge array of the boiled-chewy fruit variety and the marzipan sort..we found a posh shop with free samples so this took away the guilt of eating so many.

Since everyone had flocked to Guanjuato, Morelia was a very quiet place to spend the weekend. An almost empty hostel, just three other guests and a few turtles for company. Fortunately Gene entertained us all with some excellent (and easy) card games such as balancing the pack on a beer bottle and trying to blow as few off as possible, the one to blow the last card loses. Another involves balancing a card at a time on top of said beer bottle with two edges always over the side, thus forming a big umbrella. Beer helps.

The Morelians are very proud of their history and have a
Chewing gum treeChewing gum treeChewing gum tree

Looks gross eh? Random trees dotted with used gum!
weekly sound and light show projected onto the cathedral with commentary in English and Spanish. It is rather cheesy but draws a crowd. it does have a very Spanish feel about it though and I was just not feeling 'Mexican' enough. I was also disappointed to learn that the 25 million butterflies I have been dying to see are still up in the US/Canadian Great Lakes and wil not be heading south until the climate gets a bit colder, predicted to be the end of November. So sorry Natalie, you are spared the 'person covered in scary butterfly' pictures! In ssearch of a more Mexican Mexico, I hot-footed it in a very long day down to Oaxaca...


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 7; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0482s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb