Isla Socorro


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Jalisco » Puerto Vallarta
February 11th 2005
Published: May 11th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Catch of the DayCatch of the DayCatch of the Day

We would take this boat around the island - whale watching - on the way to work. A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the office.
We left Puerto Vallarta in a chartered Cessna Caravan to go to Socorro Island, part of the Islas Revillagigedo, about 400 km west of the Mexican coast.

Socorro is known as a diving destination, and has an amazing variety of life in the ocean, but the island itself is occupied only by a small Mexican Navy base on the South East corner. High winds, rain, salt water and poor roads make it a tough environment for equipment and people. Sheep have damaged some of the indigenous life, but the island is still home to the Socorro mockingbird; there are so many crabs that in some places you cannot help but step on them. After dark they come out on the roads - arms raised ready to fight the jeep. There is even a nocturnal local bird which feeds exclusively on these crabs.

Before we arrived, we were prepared for spartan accomodations, plain food, and tough working conditions by a collegue who had visited the island before. The longer we waited in the rain at the airport for a jeep the more pessimistic we got. But things started to look up after we met the Commanding Officer and were put
Socorro MockingbirdSocorro MockingbirdSocorro Mockingbird

Locals call them the bird of 400 sounds.
up in a comfortable guest house. Mexican Navy food is not bad, but black beans three times a day wears thin after a while.

The scenery at the island was beautiful. Driving home one evening we saw a rainbow to the east while the sunset over the ocean to the west.

Most parts of the island can only be reached by boat. One of our work sites at 'North Beach' required a 2 hour trip in a whaling boat. These were long, wet, rough rides made interesting by the excellent fishing (trolling with a bare hook) dolphins, whales and wicked scenery. Since there were no restaurants on the beach we would enjoy a fish fry before returning to the base.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Getting ready for workGetting ready for work
Getting ready for work

I walked into this tequilla plant once - the nasty spikes on the tips of the leaves made quite an impression.
Going to workGoing to work
Going to work

Bouncing along rough roads in the 6 wheel drive Navy truck.
ContrabandContraband
Contraband

The accomodations were excellent - better than we could have hoped for.


29th September 2006

Hello!!
Hi hello everyone!! My name is Daniel Carrizales Ochoa..from Manzanillo, Colima ,Me.. My father worked on the mexican navy (doctor) and we were live there two times (first time for 6 months and second time for 8 months), it just amazing how the island is not change at all, i just remembered everything about the island, the coral reef, the small port, vegetation around the island, the base area, houses around the base, the soccer field, the basketball area, everything. I had 6 years the first time i maked one step over the island, is just beautiful how live can be in sucha a quite and paceful place, the fishing (navy allowed us to fich because the age ), i can not remember everything, but guys if you are so kind and send me more pictures about the island, i will really appreciate it, my email is vacasar@hotmail.com thx and really is an honor live in such a beatiful place like "isla socorro" have a great day and thx for u time..!!!
13th October 2009

!!!
Very small, but beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It"s very pretty there!

Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 17; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0241s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb