November 15, 2013 Feria Maestros del Arte


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Jalisco » Ajijic
November 16th 2013
Published: November 16th 2013
Edit Blog Post

November 15, 2013

It was warmer today but still jacket temperatures. We returned to Chapala and after yesterday’s trip we knew exactly where we were going.

There was already a line up along the street to get into the Yacht Club. The art show is called The Feria Maestros del Arte. Select artists and artisans from many areas throughout Mexico display and sell their work at this show.

The workmanship is amazing. I bought a gourd that is transformed into a shallow bowl with intricate beadwork. This is traditional art of the Huichol of Mexico. They are best known to the larger world as the Huichol, however, they refer to themselves as Wixáritari ("the people") in their native Huchol language.

I also purchased a little vase made of Pine needles from the Oaxaca area of Mexico. It has a very intricate design and has a wonderful scent of pine.

I would have liked to purchase many of the unique items but there is the issue of money and not only the cost of purchasing the items, the cost of shipping things back to Canada is expensive. So my last purchase was a large ceramic dish with a smaller bowl.

During the show there is always live background music. While we were there, the Ajijic Trio performed and I noticed myself and others humming along to the music.



We left while we still had a few Pesos in our wallet and headed back to San Antonio. There we stopped at Johnny’s Mama’s Restaurant and had some nachos and chili with Mexican beer for lunch. We walked home along the main road and avoided the back roads because Rick’s foot is still a little sore and swollen. There are fewer rocks on the main road.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 4; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0529s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb