RVing in Mexico with Raymondo and Marsia - 2013


Advertisement
North America » Mexico » Guerrero » Zihuatanejo
March 14th 2013
Published: March 15th 2013
Edit Blog Post

We left Maruata on Monday, February 25th and settled in at El Mangler RV Park in my favorite Mexican city, Zihuatanejo. The park is about two thirds full. Some regulars have left already but others arrived after we did. Situated behind a high wall, we don't get much breeze. Its hot and humid. Temps are in the upper 80s but weather reports say "it feels like 93". Power for air conditioning is ... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 76, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Pollo amarillo.  I have long wondered why chicken sold here in Mexico and in Mexican markets in California are yellow.  Pollo amarillo.  I have long wondered why chicken sold here in Mexico and in Mexican markets in California are yellow.
Pollo amarillo. I have long wondered why chicken sold here in Mexico and in Mexican markets in California are yellow.

There are several explanations offered on line. None seem conclusive. At first, I found it off putting, now I think they look more appetizing.
Our market chefs at Fonda Irma.Our market chefs at Fonda Irma.
Our market chefs at Fonda Irma.

Fonda is another term for cafe or restaurant.
Our chile rellanos were served with rice and beans.  Yummo!Our chile rellanos were served with rice and beans.  Yummo!
Our chile rellanos were served with rice and beans. Yummo!

Their tasty tortillas were so light that they split almost like pita bread.
These stands are everywhere.  Our favorite, horchata, is on the far right.These stands are everywhere.  Our favorite, horchata, is on the far right.
These stands are everywhere. Our favorite, horchata, is on the far right.

Horchata is a rich and filling drink made with rice, milk, water, cinnamon, vanilla and sugar. It tastes a lot like rice pudding.
Carmelita and son Paco at her restaurant.Carmelita and son Paco at her restaurant.
Carmelita and son Paco at her restaurant.

Trip Advisor's number one restaurant in Zihuatanejo and a favorite of Carlos Slim, the world's richest man.
The tortilla grill.The tortilla grill.
The tortilla grill.

For some reason, tortillas made here in Zihua are superior to any we've ever had anywhere. They are thicker and have a lot more corn flavor.
Santa Prisca Pozoleria is the top choice for pozole among Trip Advisor reviewers.Santa Prisca Pozoleria is the top choice for pozole among Trip Advisor reviewers.
Santa Prisca Pozoleria is the top choice for pozole among Trip Advisor reviewers.

This restaurant on Avenida Victor Hugo is hard to find because there is no sign. We're glad we took a taxi here.
Ray's rojo (red) was tastier than mine.Ray's rojo (red) was tastier than mine.
Ray's rojo (red) was tastier than mine.

It was really too hot to eat such a hearty soup.
Pozole is made with pork or chicken, hominy, chiles, onions, garlic and spices.Pozole is made with pork or chicken, hominy, chiles, onions, garlic and spices.
Pozole is made with pork or chicken, hominy, chiles, onions, garlic and spices.

We both agree that the crockpot pozole recipe I clipped out of the Mercury News last fall that was the best we've ever eaten. And, my, "to die for" recipe is not even very fattening.
It is traditional to enjoy pozole with a glass of mexcal.It is traditional to enjoy pozole with a glass of mexcal.
It is traditional to enjoy pozole with a glass of mexcal.

Why break with tradition? We noticed that most of the other senior citizen gringos did not partake.
Another great place we found was El Pueblito.Another great place we found was El Pueblito.
Another great place we found was El Pueblito.

They also serve Chiles en Nogada. This is called Mexico's national dish because it contains all the colors in the Mexican flag.



16th March 2013

nice blogs
hey nice blogs, we are enjoying reading them from victoria b.c. my parents are thinking of taking their rv down south for their first time next winter and are hoping to find some fellows rv\'ers to caravan with for the first little while... keep up the great posts!
28th March 2013

Great blog and photos!
Winter of 2014 we are taking our truck and camper to Mexico! Am enjoying your posts! Love to eat and drink too, keep up the great work.

Tot: 0.197s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 15; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0941s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb