Going Loco.


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Guerrero » Acapulco
May 24th 2001
Published: November 6th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Yes, I am now in Acapulco, Mexico. It is very much like Rio de Janeiro in many ways - sun, sand, beach volleyball, lifesavers, concerts on the beach...I love it! We are hoping to move to somewhere more tranquil and paradise-like soon, but are not sure where. We are doing the stupid thing of travelling without a guide book ( we were too stingy to buy one for only two weeks) so it is a challenge! Hoping to make friends with some nice backpackers with a Lonely Planet soon!

Last night we went to a restaurant with a real life Manuel from “Fawlty Towers” (I apologise to those of you who are not British and have no idea what I am going on about!). It was uncanny though. He had everything - the black trousers and white shirt, moustache, and he ran around everywhere like a headless chicken, tripping over and dropping things, and trying to speak in funny English! We are thinking of going back there tonight just to get his photo!

Our last few days in Ecuador were really good. We went to the equator and got the obligatory photo straddling it along the painted line. We
AcapulcoAcapulcoAcapulco

We stopped here for a few days for some beach life
also went to the famous market in the mountains of Otavalo. There is a tourist market, but the most interesting part was the locals’ animal market. As we approached it at 6.30am, we saw a bus pull up and someone hauled his newly purchased piglets onto the roof. They were all tied together with string around their necks, and when they were hauled up, they were being strangled and so squealed loudly - it was horrible! There were also huge adult pigs for sale, along with chickens, horses, cows, sheep and goats. It was the ultimate South American experience!

It is funny that we are now officially in North America. Mexico should be part of South America I think, although there are subtle differences. In Mexico you don’t get pigs riding on bus roofs, chickens riding on seats, and nightmarish gravel roads along major routes! We have reached civilisation it seems, but it is kind of sad. I will miss the hectic bustle of South America (and the cheap prices!).

Off to the States next - that’ll be a contrast!





Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

At the TopAt the Top
At the Top

Looking towards Piramide de la Luna from Piramide de la Sol
TaxcoTaxco
Taxco

We came straight here from Mexico City. All the Taxis are white beetle cars!It's like something from 'The Itallian Job'.
ZihuatanejoZihuatanejo
Zihuatanejo

We left the mad-house of Acupulco to come to nice tranquil Zihuatanejo


Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0279s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb