Leaving Acapulco: Drinking Margaritas to the Beat of a Russian Band


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Guerrero » Acapulco
April 11th 2006
Published: April 25th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Mariner anchors in Acapulco Bay this morning and the city of one million inhabitants surrounds us. Buildings, in various stages of construction, are scattered down the hillside. Some of these buildings have probably had the same construction going on for many years, a Mexican tax strategy to avoid paying taxes.

Two large Celebrity ships are docked in the harbor. Soon, thousands of cruise passengers join the Good Friday crowd. Considering that this is Easter week and there are many locals enjoying the area too, Alan and I opt to stay onboard. Since bodyguard duty precludes us from taking excursions, we aren’t interested in walking around a shopping area in a crowd of tourists fighting off vendors on a hot day.

Our fellow passengers have many choices though. They can visit the city highlights and watch famous cliff divers or learn about Acapulco’s art and history. Most of the other choices revolve around water activities: lounging at a beach club and enjoying lunch, riding a jet boat, hiking and snorkeling, or zooming around on a jet ski.

Alan and I spend the day relaxing around the ship, when we aren’t accompanying Kathryn to a meal. In the afternoon, we spend time on our balcony watching watercraft go buzzing by. The harbor is filled with all types of boats and small watercraft. It sounds like bees hovering around a hive.

There is a sail away this evening on the pool deck. Just because we didn’t experience Acapulco, doesn’t mean that we can’t drink margaritas while enjoying a view of the Mexican Riviera as Mariner sails from the harbor. So, at 6:30pm, Alan, Kathryn and I join other passengers on the pool deck. The margaritas are plentiful and Mariner Five, a Russian band, entertains the crowd with lively music. A food station serves skewered chicken, steak or shrimp. And, of course, there is guacamole.

A slight breeze cools the air as we sip margaritas, listen to the music and watch a Mexican sunset. Soon, it will be time for dinner, as if we need any more food!



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.403s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 26; qc: 147; dbt: 0.1673s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb